1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

90k service questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hermitcrab, Feb 29, 2012.

1. hermitcrab

hermitcrab New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am just over 90k miles on my 2006. I basic maintenance myself, except for in winter (no garage). I contacted a local dealer regarding 90k service and got a list of recommended services and quote back. I've attached this to my post. A large part of it I don't need or want, but I'd like some other people's thoughts on it too, specifically if prices sound fair.

I am interested in having all items of the required 90,000 mi service completed, with the exception of the tire rotation, which I performed recently myself and the tires need to be replaced soon anyways.
    Regarding the recommended service items, I will have those done, with the exception of some that I am not interested in or have completed myself:
    -I will provide my own synthetic oil
    -No interest in nitrogen fill in tires
    -No interest in balancing tires, since they need to be replaced soon
    -I use non-OEM wiper blades, which I replace myself
    -I previously changed the transaxle fluid myself at 70K mi

What in the world is the $34.95 health check? I suppose I probably need to ask them directly about that.

Thanks for any insight!

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that if you can replace wiper blades yourself, you can replace the engine and cabin air filters yourself. For that matter if you can replace the transaxle fluid yourself then you can replace the engine oil and oil filter yourself...

If your car is not demonstrating any driveability issues, then the only optional item that I would suggest is for you to replace the PCV valve, which you could also do yourself if you have the correct tools and feel like it.

In other words, no compelling reason to have any of these services performed by your friendly local dealer.

1 person likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what the heck is 'world standard fluid exchange'?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota ATF WS aka Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid, World Standard.

In other words this dealer has quoted $250 for the transaxle ATF fluid drain and replace.