1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

91 octane, straight gas, $3.00+/gal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bwilson4web, Oct 17, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Planning to do some max acceleration tests, I bought a gallon of 91 octane, straight gas, in a spare can. It was nearly $3.50/gallon. Still, it will take about 100 miles to run out of gas before I can put in to 1 gallon and then fill the tank.

I've got a good place for testing acceleration and hill climb. With Auto Enginuity, I can record generic data and I have GPS mouse with one second resolution. The only piece of the puzzle missing is vehicle weight. Any suggestions?

Bob Wilson

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Check with local moving and storage companies, may will have a scale on the premisis and you can get an accurate weight of the vehicle with you in the driver's seat...

1 person likes this.
  3. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Ontario, east of Toronto, it is around $1.04 per litre and 91 is usually 10 -14 cents more
    when gas was 50 cents / litre, 91 10-14 cents difference :confused:

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My interest is to measure the HP output as a function of octane and I'm down to my last two gallons of Shell, E10, 87 octane. So I'm going to use my hill climb test. It has the advantage of:

• standing start - the problem with a dyno is the inital speed. I really want a map from 0 mph to xx - whatever the maximum
    • hill grade delay - the ~8% grade slows the acceleration so we can get more accurate dE/dt
    • no police issues - I'll be starting from the sheriff's substation with a clear view of on coming traffic. My first pass, just to climb the hill at a set speed, will partially normalize the car
    • normalized starting state - descending the hill in "B" will leave the ICE and traction battery in the same state-of-charge and temperature state
    Now that I have a clue about how to get the vehicle weight, this will work!

I'll do a dry-run in a few minutes using Auto Enginuity to record the 'stock' values along with a reset, Garmin GPS.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

5. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Or, public waste transfer stations usually have two vehicle scales (one going in, the other coming out) because they charge by the weight of the load.

Since you won't drop anything off, they should not charge you at all.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Preliminary Report

Date: Oct. 17, 2010 ~5:00 PM (CDT)
    Temp: 77 F indicated on last run
    Gas: Shell 87, E10
    Estimated weight: ~3,300 lbs (~1,500 kg)
    Hill heigth:~ 525 ft (~160 m)
    Vehicle: 1.8L, ZVW30 Prius, 14,800 ODO
    Tires: 15" wheels, Sumitomo T4, ~50 psi, 5k miles
    Vehicle metrics recorder: Auto Enginuity, generic power train
    Emphemris record: Garmin nuvi 260 w
    Hill climb:
    [​IMG]
    Starting location: police substation just below lower left of "Heart of Dixie Highway
    Ending location: first road at top of hill

Runs:

• 87 mph (indicated) - warmed car at 55 mph to sub-station, 10 miles, standard battery bars. Started from drive with a maximum acceleration and right turn onto drive. Drove car at 55 mph after crest until battery started showing charge bars, did a U-turn and returned to crest of hill. On downgrade, set cruise control to 50 mph and car fully charged battery to 'pink' top bar. In last 200 meters, engine note changed suggesting peak traction battery charge and use of ICE to continue speed management. Made a U-turn and returned to police substation drive.
    • 97 mph (indicated) - When traffic passed, did a maximum acceleration and sharp right turn to head up hill . . . faster than before. I waited for some traffic, a pickup and car, to pass and then another lone car about 1/4 mile behind. After the lone car cleared the first turn, I was off. Unexpected, I caught the first pickup and car at the last turn . . . and at 97 mph (indicated) flew past them.
    I want to integrate the GPS data with the Auto Enginuity. However, there was distinct change in the exhaust recirculation behavior between the first and second run. Initial data views:

• 50% throttle became 81% when EGR kicked in - this showed up on the first run suggesting. However, the MAF did not significantly change.
    • +7 mph difference between indicated and OBD recorded velocity speed - this is where the GPS data will be critical to determine what the car actually was doing.
    • minimum 70 mph (OBD) for max MAF and ICE rpm - we need the GPS data but it really looks like maximum ICE power requires 70 mph on the (OBD).
    I have been at 90 mph indicated in my NHW11 at the crest of the hill and that is more excitement than I want. But in the ZVW30, it felt much better, more in control.

Well that is all I have for now. I need to get the vehicle weight and improve my protocol:

• pull onto road way
    • hold brake with left foot
    • max accelerator
    • count 1, 2, 3
    • release brake
    This should be a much better standing start. But I'll do that with the high-octane, straight gas.

Questions? Comments?

Bob Wilson

ps. Yes, it was fun!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob, outside air temperature and humidity should be roughly the same for both runs for the same engine power. Similar weather and temperature within a few degrees for both runs should be close enough for what you are doing.

1 person likes this.
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a good test.

I tried 89 octane and it seemed to improve hill climb acceleration subjectively and mileage but I don't have enough real data to know if this is just noise. I think SOC may have something to do with it. In the hot summer my SOC seems to hang lower. Now that temperatures are back in the 70s and 80s I've gone back to regular and seem to have adequate SOC and better performance.

So to add another variable ... can you do the tests will low SOC also.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I've attached the raw data in a two, page, excel workbook. This can be opened using OpenOffice. Issues to be aware of:

• Time (Mac) - Auto Enginuity reports time to 1 millisecond resolution. However, Excel has trouble dealing with 1 millisecond time resolution. The raw value is there and an approximation based upon text conversion down to 10 milliseconds. OpenOffice may handle time more sensibly.
    • Time (Mac) - Auto Enginuity reported the local time in 12 hour clock, not 24 hour clock. A straight 0.5 day addition in Excel offset the 24 hour value by approximately one and a fraction second . . . (grumble: quality.)
    • Sampling - Auto Enginuity reports each value captured at a single point. They are roughly spread out between each frame but rapidly changing values can be sampled in different vehicle states. The usual practice is to toss out the easily identified 'end points.'
    • Time (GPS) - The Garmin nuvi reports GMT time in seconds without the fraction.
    • Fuel consumption - use the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio of 14.7 to one and ~2,790 gm/gallon (NOTE: gasoline density varies based upon the specific mix of hydrocarbons. I will try to measure the density of the high octane gas.)
    I won't be able to work on this until this evening. However, I would use the GPS data to calculate the total vehicle kinetic and potential energy as a function of time. This also includes calculating the speed. This would result in a set of interpolated values between each GPS point with x, y, z, velocity (m/sec), kinetic E, and potential E (kW hr).

I would use the Auto Enginuity data to calculate fuel consumption and treat low values of vehicle velocity as 'zero points' to figure out clock offset between the Macintosh and GPS.

Finally, I would merge the two sets of data and interperlate to a common time scale to approximate the total vehicle state at any given time. Ploting this data makes it understandable.

Please fell free to harvest whatever data you find interesting in this data. I prefer collaboration.

Bob Wilson

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I wanted to see the relationship between maximum ICE rpm vs speed (OBD uncalibrated.) :
    [​IMG]
    Obviously, I need to begin at a standing stop with max accelerator and brake and then let off on the brake. Still the car does scoot on MG2 while starting the ICE. With the ICE already running, we should establish better metrics.

Bob Wilson

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh Oh!
    • 89 mph peak - Pure, 93 octane, no ethanol gas, standing start, brake holding max accelerator
    • 91 mph - Shell 87, E10, rolling, right-turn start
    I am seeing slightly higher, MAF rate on the Shell 87.

Bob Wilson

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh Oh!
    • 90 mph peak - Pure, 87 octane, no ethanol gas, standing start, brake holding max accelerator
    • 89 mph peak - Pure, 93 octane, no ethanol gas, standing start, brake holding max accelerator
    • 91 mph - Shell 87, E10, rolling, right-turn start
    I am seeing slightly higher, MAF rate on the Shell 87 than the 93 octane.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  13. blake918

blake918 Blizzard Brigade #23

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There were a couple questions about the weight of the Prius. I put my Prius II on our truck scale at work the other day, and it came back at 3,080 LBS (no driver, 1/2 tank of fuel, etc.).

Attached Files: