1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

95% freeway miles - What can I expect?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by emtownsend, Mar 18, 2005.

1. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I live in the Pacific Northwest (Spokane, WA / Post Falls, ID) and I drive about 26 freeway miles each way to work and another 2 to 4 street miles a day.

What can I expect for highway/freeway miles from the Prius.
    Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See This Post just 3 or 4 down from yours on almost exactly the same topic.

In the PNW it may be a bit cooler and rainier and that will have a negative impact on your mileage.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my experience, you should easily get at least 46-52mpg in your driving. I did a 52-mile round-trip from Santa Clara, CA to San Mateo, CA last weekend, averaging around 70mph on the freeway and I got 51.5mpg for the whole trip. About four miles of it was suburban streets.

My average mpg is usually closer to 45mpg because I have a short commute, and that's most of my driving. I do not drive to get high mpg, but slightly faster than the flow of traffic (not enough to be excessive or draw attention to me).

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I'd agree with PriusEnvy.

Of all the things that hurt mileage, short trips are the worst. Most of my drives are 1-2 miles each day, and this negatively affects the mileage.

I rarely drive into work (I ride a vanpool), but when I do it's about 26 miles (in Seattle in the PNW). With the warmer weather, I've been getting ~50 MPG on these trips, without any special driving (i.e., watching the MPG monitor) at all. (In the depths of winter, it was more like ~45 MPG).

5. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the feeback. I am going to retire my trusty Corolla CE that gets 35 to 38mpg so I want to at least beat that!

Being that the A/C is electric, would that compromise economy when the weather warms up?

Thanks again!

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emtownsend\";p=\"73706)</div>
    Less so than in an old-technology car because the A/C doesn't require the engine to run. In Dallas I get better MPG in warm weather even with the A/C running all the time because the engine warms itself faster and runs more efficiently.

7. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sounds good!
    Thanks all!

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I just managed 58.7mpg with 75%+ freeway driving here in the Phoenix area - temps ranged from the 60's to the 80's F. Speeds ranged from 55-70mph. No major hills.

9. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher\";p=\"73709)</div>
    Other than the engine needing to run to generate electricity. The real savings with the electric A/C compressor is that it's variable speed, so it only has to run fast enough to keep up with the cooling load. I run my car with the A/C in Auto Mode almost exclusively and 50 MPG is my average on the highway (between 65-75 MPH and with hills) using the cruise control.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i did some testing last fall after it got cool enough to run without air conditioning and my results were

70 mph = 50.5 mpg
    65 mph = 52.5 mpg
    60 mph = 55 mpg

now running the air ( i like it cool bout 68-69º) reduced those figure bet 1-2 mpg. for some reason, even on similar days, the mileage never seemed to level out very well. all the mileage figures were gathered on days when i drove at least 50 miles one way and encountered no major traffic issues.

just to let you know, once i hit traffic due to an accident going the other way and got about 65 mpg averaging bet 25-40 mph WITH the air on... in fact it was one of the hottest days we had last summer with temps over 100º. in any other car i would have been fuming but my Prius was totally cool and collected. that was when i knew that buying this car was one of the best decisions i had ever made.

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr\";p=\"73724)</div>
    Sounds like about the most optimal Prius-driving travel imaginable.