1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

96 gallon wheeled recycle tote. Will it fit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sumguy, Jan 31, 2021.

1. sumguy

sumguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Plan to buy one of these large garbage totes instead of renting from waste services. Anyone know if it fits in the hatch area?

2. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    bisco likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't see your (link/pic) but assuming you're talking about a standard plastic waste can at 96 gallons. But you're talking about over 500 pounds once it's fully loaded so the thought of you lifting it up and putting it in your car without eventually having an accident that stinks up your car sounds impossible. So here's how people do it:

918zcnNt64L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91SL290yVwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

kenoarto likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not even a 12 year old would try to put a fully loaded 95 gallon garbage can in the back of their Prius...

kenoarto likes this.
  5. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The OP is just "planing to buy one of those large garbage totes instead of renting from waste services" and needs to get it back to his house from Home Depot or Lowe's. Where I live, they charge for the pickup service and also for trash can rental, unless you have your own.

Yeah, I agree that no sane person is going to put a fully loaded 95 gallon garbage can in the back of their Prius!

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, that makes more sense... Thanks for clarifying... I guess I underestimated how simple the question was. I should know better, I've seen this routine before. But still always amazes me how a really simple question that can be answered with a tape measure can easily turn into wasting the time of helpful people online.

So annoying that people would think it's easier to start a brand new PriusChat thread rather than embracing rugged individualism and opening your hatch and measuring how much room you got to put stuff in your car?

It's right up there with people who get their upholstery dirty and post on PriusChat asking how to clean it... As if cleaning stuff has always been a mystery to them?

#6 PriusCamper, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  7. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I considered not answering. On the other hand, I learned something from your pix, although I assume that's for people whose driveways are a mile long and for very slow speeds. Don't want to see that on I-95!

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Go to the store and buy it.
    Try to put it in the hatch.
    Might want to take along some rope or a couple of bungee cords just incase.

If it does not fit, take it back right then and make some other arrangements.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep... One of my gardening jobs has a long driveway and they're elderly so I have to take their cans out for them and this would speed things up, but I'd probably DIY my own design to save money rather than have something brand new and expensive. At the same time when you get paid by the hour and you're always trying to get as much done as fast as possible sometimes that long walk with the can is kinda relaxing.

Johnny Cakes likes this.