1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

98 Prius: My back door got scratched! Ahhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hannah, Sep 1, 2004.

1. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear All,
    I had a minor accident and my back door got scratched. The part of the scratch got through the primer and the metal body was bare. I have got it now covered with mask tape to prevent rusting. I had contacted fair few local panel beaters and it seems that it would cost me NZ$700-800 to fix which is quite pricey I think. The scratch is a foot long and the metal is bare for first couple of inches. Is there any patch work I can do by myself? Please treat me as a novice.

Many thanks

N.B.: The color of my car is Electric Green Mica

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It may be possible to fix it yourself if you're willing to take some time and do it properly, but that requires that you learn the proper procedure and take time to do the repair.

It also depends on what level of "fix" you want. If you want an absolute grade-A job, it may be worth your while to pay a pro to do it - that's what their job is, so you can expect a perfect finish.

If you don't mind some minor imperfections that won't be noticable at more than a few feet away, you could probably do the repair yourself with a bit of studying and the proper equipment.

Dave.

3. hannah

hannah Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes Dave, I like to do it by myself however do not know how to proceed. Had never done it before. Any suggestions, please.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    how wide is the damage??

if its less than 3" you might be able to use "Popsadent" to pull the metal out if the gouge isnt deep.

a dent a foot long would take a lot of patience. i had a dent that was 1.75" by 3.25" and it took 11 "pops" before it looked pretty good.

but mine was just a "door dent" so it wasnt deep. now matching paint on a car that old could take some real talent.