1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

99,500 mile hybrid system check?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dmaxdmax, May 8, 2012.

1. dmaxdmax

dmaxdmax Junior Member

I'm closing in fast on 100m and I seem to recall that's when the hybrid system warrantee runs out. It there anyway to check that everything is running as it should or do we just wait for a warning light or catastrophic failure? MPG is OK though not quite as good as it was in the early years.

Thanks

'05 with Leather and MFD

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are a few states where the warranty is to 10 years, 150K miles. Search here for 'CARB states'. That's one reason why we like to see users' locations, because often times advice can be tailored to your specific location.

A dealership will not do anything about your battery if you don't have the Red Triangle and at least a P3000 code. If you show up at one to have it checked, you will likely be charged 1 - 2 hours of diagnostic time for them to tell you that the battery is fine.

My advice: drive it until it codes, and avoid parking the car with 7-8 green bars on the battery gauge. Another preventative that you can do at home is clean the battery fan. There are instructions posted here.