1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

99,900 Miles - What to check before warranty expires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Keith Elkin, May 9, 2017.

1. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have 100 miles left until my extended warranty is done. I'm not driving the car until I can get it to the dealer and have anything fixed which needs it prior to the warranty expiring. Up until this point all I've been doing is oil changes and changing filters. Is there any recommended maintenance anyone suggests I do while I have it at the dealer? And anything I should ask the dealer to check while they have it in their possession?

The arm rest inside broke and fell inside itself slightly, not sure if that's covered but I'm going to try..
    -Keith

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They've never done a brake maintenance?

3. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have replaced the tires, brakes, etc... last year.
    -Keith

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    follow the maintenance in your manual. you're getting close to plugs and fluids, but i wouldn't bother prematurely. you may want to add a tranny fluid change. don't bite on anything else the dealer tries to sell you, unless recommended by multiple members here.
    i can't think of anything you can check on the hybrid warranty. unfortunately, it isn't covered, if it isn't coded.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe brake fluid change. It's recommended by Toyota Canada, for all vehicles (30K miles or tri-yearly), but not in the US schedule? (n)

It is DIYable, for about $15 (the cost of a couple of pints of Toyota DOT3 brake fluid). @NutzAboutBolts has a video on it in maintenance section, and it's doable without Techstream, documented in the Repair Manual. You only need a few rudementary bits, basically a catch jar, some tubing, a largish syringe to baste out the bulk of the fluid in the reservoir reservoir at the outset. The rubber attachement that pushes onto bleed valves is handy to have, something you can pick up at auto supply stores. Most important: an assistant, to pump the pedal.

#5 Mendel Leisk, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, some here would agree with that. do you recall anyone here having trouble with high mileage prius because they only changed the brake fluid per toyota?
    also, how many miles do you plan on keeping the car? 100k already, sounds like you're in for the long haul.

#6 bisco, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  7. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    a wonderful testament to the reliability and low-maintenance of the Prius. That's why I bought one . most folks just want to gripe and complain about minor issues. Thanks for posting.

8. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the platinum extended warranty, which came with my preowned Prius. Therefore, I have an interest in this thread, even though my warranty won't be up for ~5 years.

As per the details of my vehicle service agreement, none of the fluid changes or routine brake maintenance would be covered. That pretty much goes for most of the other routine maintenance of wear and tear items. The Toyota rep explained that it's similar to an extension of the original 3/36,000 warranty- minus some items. So, if it wasn't covered under the original warranty, it likely wouldn't be covered under the extension. Paint, and a lot of the interior (like seat fabric) aren't covered, either.

I'm still a newb here, so my information could be incorrect. In fact, I hope to learn that I'm covered for more than I thought.

9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I always bring my cars in for a check up at the end of the CPO 100k. If you hear any creaking or suspension noice tell them it makes some noise -- or drives differently. I have had Lexus replace front struts and other suspension parts -- same with MB.

Often parts are not prefect .. but not yet failing/ failed ..... if spotted they will be replaced.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming they (Toyota) doesn't repair something huge, right before you go past the wire on your extended warranty, do you feel you got value from purchasing it?

If all you've been doing is Oil and Filter changes?

We often get new buyers asking if they should purchase extended warranties. I never have. My advice is usually to have them check EXACTLY what is covered, so they know exactly what they are paying for, then if they want the "peace of mind" of having those things covered for X amount of time? Then it's their decision. But I feel it's more buying personal peace of mind, than a warranty you are actually probably going to get much tangible value from.

If this warranty expires with it only resulting in Oil and Filter changes do you think it was a good value?

11. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    So to answer a few questions:

1. Do I feel I received good value in the car? Absolutely. The savings in gas plus its ability to get me into the HOV lane as a single occupant was well worth the cost as I was driving 100 miles a day for work. I haven't had a single problem with the car, it's been pretty good to me!

2. Do I feel the extended warranty provided any value? Absolutely not, at least not this time. I have purchased extended warranties on every car I have ever owned, and have used them on each of those cars above the cost I paid for the warranty. Being that this was my first Hybrid and I wasn't sure what to expect, I went for it... but glad to say I didn't have any need to use it. It was more of a security blanket than anything.

3. So I contacted Toyota and explained that I've only done oil changes and tire rotations, and asked what should I do at the 100K mile mark. They told me they have a service where they do an oil change, flush out the coolant, as well as "the hybrid coolant" for $573. What the heck is "hybrid coolant"? $573 sounds a bit excessive to flush out antifreeze and an oil change... This is the reason why I stayed away from Toyota's service department to begin with. They didn't even mention plugs.

They weren't very helpful in advising what services I want to do, the guy even sounded unsure about whether I should do the coolant service.
    -Keith

The Electric Me likes this.
  12. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Don't confuse maintenance items with repairs -- the warranty covers items that have failed .. you don't have to do anything at 100k for the warranty ... it's over.

As I said -- I take my cars in for a review .. I'm very honest ... I'm looking for anything that would be covered. Normally, the dealers are receptive as they will get the work.

CPO warranties -- come with used cars .. buying a factory extended warranty is normally not going to work out. I bought a 4y/ 125k for the first Prius as I was concerned about all the stuff in the car .. never used it. I have bought hundreds of cars for myself and company and never buy extended warranties. I do often buy certified used cars from dealers with CPO warranties.

The manual will tell you what is due -- I did the plugs myself at 120k and had a simple coolant refresh done at 5 years and about 140k .... remember the car has two coolant systems. I also had a transaxle fluid change done around 120k when it was in for an oil change/rotation.