1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gwynngal, Dec 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did (or my husband did because frankly I wondered if they would deal differently with a man (or at least LESS IN-differently). The customer service rep took information and said we'd hear back within 2 business days. That leaves today and I am not optimistic. Jim at MAC's In Ashland, VA might be a cheaper fix, with more warranty... At least he seemed interested!

Do you know the folks at MAC's personally? Do you want a tip of the hat there?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...nope my battery never went bad...I used to think it was close to me so I was going to use them, Thankfully someone on Prius chat told me it was Ashland Va. (and not Ashburn, Va.) which was a misconception I had.

3. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota called to say they would give us the battery at half price, so we'll pay $1478... not as good as some but better than $3,500

Prieth likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure what your out the door price is, but that's what I was hoping. That's fantastic under the circumstances.

5. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pleased primarily b/c it's so much easier than getting the limping car to Ashland - even though the Ashland folks give you a free loaner.

Thanks for ALL YOUR HELP!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a great deal, and very generous of them, congrats!

7. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do feel a bit badly that if I had not come to this site, it would NEVER have happened. The Service manager actually denied Toyota had any kind of 'Goodwill' effort when I mentioned it (having read about it here) and in so many words said 'too bad, so sad: do you want to look at the new cars or the used cars? - You'd be stupid to put all that money into your OLD CAR!' Seems as though Toyota, if not the dealer, should publicize or at lest make known the possibility that Toyota could consider some relief under certain circumstances. No wonder people resort to 'class action suits', which I abhor. Of course, once you open that door, everyone would believe their case deserved covering! Who knows? I guess a consumer has to be prepared to SQUEAL & SQUEAK!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's an uneasy relationship between manufacturer and dealer. an old model that may go away in the future. most people think they are one and the same, because the sign says so.

no one would ever advertise free repairs after warranty. it's a case by case basis. it's hard to sue for a broken product that is out of warranty, and class action requires a multitude of defects, and generally, some type of deception or illegal action.

#48 bisco, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  9. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wjtracy, you appear to be the keeper of the records for the Toyota 'Goodwill' (unofficial?) program so I wanted to let you know that the dealer got the battery and got it put in before they expected to. I picked it up yesterday. After a bit of a go-round with the Service Department who wanted us to pay the entire amount and get the refund from Toyota, we finally prevailed by having Toyota's Customer Service Dept call the dealership AGAIN and back up what they had assured us of several times: that we would pay $1200 for the battery plus the installation of $275 + tax. The Service manager was spitting mad but finally accepted it.

I don't know how the the relationship between the dealer and Toyota works, but I left pretty sour toward the dealer. Toyota's HQ Customer Service was terrific from the get go. They were pleasant & obviously interested in making us happy customers. The dealership, on the other hand, did not seem enthused about doing the service - only selling a replacement vehicle. Let me know if there is any info you need if you are recording this transaction. My car is a 2ndGen, 2007 with 75,430 miles. Total OTD cost of replacement was $1478.11 (plus, of course, the $69.55 diagnostic fee.) [Which is probably about what I would have paid for the replacement at MAC's in Ashland...]
    Can't thank you 'chatters' here on this forum enough! I hope I keep lovin' that car! Merry Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year! ~Sue

Prieth and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, same to you!

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a pretty amazing price for a used Prius batt replace in non-CARB Virginia. Some say it's the orig owners that get better deals, but this tends to say no.