1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A ban on all Prius imports to the U.S.?!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by snowman83, Feb 10, 2006.

1. snowman83

snowman83 New Member

I was watching the business news this morning and heard them make mention of litigation against Toyota that would prevent them from importing any hybrid Prius or Highlander should the plaintiff be successful.

I thought, "Surely that can't be true" but did a quick search on the web and came up with this article: http://www.autoserviceworld.com/issues/ISA...&issue=01112006

What are the chances that this litigation and said ban could come to fruition? I'm looking to buy a Prius in May or June, so hopefully even if it does happen, it will be well after that!

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah, but that's importing. What if they were made here?

4. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

it'll never happen... <_<

5. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

Here's MSNBC's story

Paten Probe on Prius

Hmmm...I betcha the big three wouldn't be too upset. Conspiracy theorists watch out! :ph34r: :ph34r:

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    US patent system desperately needs reform. It is very easy to get patent granted w/o due diligence of ensuring no prior art exists. The worst could happen is if one uses the patent to sue others and the patent got voided in court. Still, when that happens, no consequence on plantiff's part (other than lawyers' fee). I have filed and got 5 patents granted on behalf of companies I worked for over the years. I can only tell you that Most Europe and some advanced Asian countries have better patent system than ours.

To me, Soloman vs Toyota case is just a matter of whether Toyota want to settle it out of court or pay them off under the table. You will see Prius, no doubt. Even if push comes to shove, the core disputed portion can always be replaced with other technology with the same function without infringing. I don't think it will go that far.

7. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    US Patent reform is underway. Here in D.C., I know a handfull of patent owners, a handful of patent lawyers and one guy who was working on a contract for the USPO integration into the World Intellectual Property Organization. The contract turned out to be a mess (the prime was Northrop Grumman, I believe) - but it is in fact underway and they're developing a very large web-services/NLP based system integrating the 7 *big* countries for patents (US, Japan, Germany, etc). Of course, it's already way over budget and way years over due....

Dave

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe that Toyota has property in Calf. to do just that.

9. JKnight

JKnight Member

The financial profile for Solomon Tech doesn't look so hot. Looks like they're burning through venture capital and need some cash, hence the lawsuit. I hope Toyota goes all the way on this one.

Jan