1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A belt on the engine??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by partipilo, Oct 12, 2007.

1. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought this engine was beltless... The A/C is fully electric, the power steering is fully electric, MG1 is your starter/alternator, just about everything is electric. But I peeked under the hood for the first time today, and noticed that there is indeed a belt on the engine. I couldn't make out more then the main crankshaft pulley and an idler pulley... What in the world is it used for?

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(partipilo @ Oct 12 2007, 03:48 AM) [snapback]524487[/snapback]</div>
    isnt that the serpentine belt for Water Pump, Compressor And Idler?

i thought the air conditioner pump was in front of the radiator, and you wouldnt be able to see it
    unless you took that big plastic piece off

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That belt drives the water pump.
    Because the AC is electric the idler is there to allow the belt to be adjusted.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Toyota has not yet concluded that it would be cost-effective to replace the (mechanical) engine coolant pump with an electrical one. Even though this would eliminate the thermostat and one crankshaft seal. I have long thought they should do it the other way, but my opinion in these matters does not count for much.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Toch...,

That pulley has a harmonic balancer in it. So, one probably could not get rid of the seal. The balancer is a device which damps vibrations in the crank shaft.

6. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There also needs to be a means to turn the crankshaft when performing some service and repair proceedures such as adjusting valve clearances. Therefore having the crankshaft coming out the end of the engine has it's advantages. Pitty about the power robbing belt. Shame Toyota couldn't run the pump off the timing chain and leave off the belt.

The water pump in modern engines moves water around the block even when the thermostat is closed to maintain even temperature through the engine. An electric pump would need to run almost all the time to achieve this anyway, unfortunately.

7. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 12 2007, 09:27 AM) [snapback]524550[/snapback]</div>
    This is rather unusual, methinks. At least with my last vehicle, a Jeep with the i6, the water pump was bolted directly to the crankshaft, so no belt was required. It would sure suck to have a belt break and seize the engine.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(partipilo @ Oct 22 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]528805[/snapback]</div>
    Many modern engines power the water pump from the timing belt, so you still have a belt. It really sucks when you need to replace a timing belt driven pump.

Tom

9. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 13 2007, 06:49 AM) [snapback]525076[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the Prius has 2 water pumps, ref.DENSO
    "The Prius's main water pump loses its source of mechanical energy when the vehicle is running on battery power alone and the engine is off. So, we developed an auxiliary electric water pump for the car. Our electric water pump provides a constant flow of heat to the cabin even when the mechanical pump is stopped. The mechanical pump operates when the engine is running, which reduces the load on the battery. And a bypass function reroutes water flow to avoid resistance from whichever pump isn't running."

10. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wonder if they could make it an air cooled engine?

11. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Oct 22 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]528978[/snapback]</div>
    The horsepower is low enough that it is technically feasible. A buddy of mine is restoring an old VW Vanagon Westfalia with an engine around the same power, 60-ish horsepower, and it is entirely air-cooled. While I live in Florida and don't really care about this aspect of things, you have to keep in mind heating the cabin in the winter. :)

You still have an enormous amount of energy that needs to be dissipated within the MGs and the inverter.

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(partipilo @ Oct 22 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]528805[/snapback]</div>
    I'm quite sure you're mistaken. Every Jeep with the 4.0L I6 engine that I've seen (and I've seen them all from 1992 until they stopped making them) has the water pump driven by a pulley, which also has the fan clutch mounted to it.

Think about it, the water pump is mounted up (relatively) high on the engine. That's not where the crankshaft is located. And it bolts to the front of the block, not the crankshaft.

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Air cooled engines are generally noisier. Even motorbikes use water cooling which although it helps maintain finer control of the engine temperature to produce lower exhaust emissions the other function is to allow them to operate withing ever tightening noise control requirements.
    Air cooling would not allow the degree of temperature control or noise supression to make the Prius acceptable. Can you imagine a VW engine starting and stopping depending on the demands of the HSD? Silent to rattle-trap in an instant.

Here is an image of the front of an i6 engine, the waterpump pulley is the big one in the middle. Your prius has 3 pulleys, crankshaft, waterpump and 1 idler, would you rather have the same belt drive as the i6?
    [​IMG]

14. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, at least with my old 1994 ZJ I6 engine, that water pump was bolted directly to the crankshaft.

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well in 20+ years in the trade I have never seen any car with the waterpump bolted directly to the crankshaft but I guess Chrysler may have made a 1 off.

The harmonic balancer bolts directly to the front of the crankshaft, that is the big pulley at the bottom and it drives everything else through the belt. They do fail from time to time.

16. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Oct 22 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]528950[/snapback]</div>
    No. The Prius has four coolant pumps: three for the engine, one for the inverter/transaxle cooling system.

Engine: (1) mechanical main pump, (2) electric coolant heat storage system pump, (3) electric heater core pump.

17. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 24 2007, 03:15 AM) [snapback]529616[/snapback]</div>
    He doesn't know what he's talking about. I've worked on '93, '94, and '95 ZJs with the 4.0L I6, and still own a '93 ZJ with the I6. The water pump mounts to the block above the crankshaft pulley, and has its own pulley. I've replaced the water pump twice on my own ZJ.

Here are a couple drawings out of the shop manual for the '93-'95 ZJ. It clearly shows the water pump mounted on the block above the crankshaft, with it's own pulley, and the belt routing shows the pulley for the water pump above the crankshaft pulley. The claim that it is attached directly to the crankshaft has to rank as one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

Attached Files:

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was being polite.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 28 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]531442[/snapback]</div>
    Don't you hate it when that happens. ;)

Tom

20. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 28 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]531540[/snapback]</div>
    I seriously have to apologize then. I just had a fan break off a pulley that I thought mounted to the main shaft. I had a really bad shadetree mechanic do a water pump replacement. I thought there was just one serpentine belt. I apologize.