1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A better deal? The Prius III or the VW GTI/TDI. Case Study.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by priuswoo, Sep 29, 2010.

1. priuswoo

priuswoo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    A few things to start this off... We are a company and I'm posting this because we have had a lot of very interesting things happening with our buyers lately this time it was a Prius and GTI. Hopefully people trying to decide between the two will learn something from this...

Here is one of the stories. One of our CarWoo! customers was looking for one of two different fuel efficient vehicles. The VW GTI TDI or a Prius III or IV.

He started deals on both of these vehicles. Our technology reaches out to 10-15 dealers in the area to get them to place bids. Here's the difference between the TDI and the Prius in the market today.

1. The TDI is a highly in demand vehicle, but there are not very many of them. Dealers from hundreds of miles around were telling us they were out of stock. We found a few dealers with the car. Best deal was about 1k off msrp. The dealer was more than 50 miles away and it wasn't even equipped the way the buyer wanted it.

2. Same buyer was also looking for a Prius. The Prius is also a highly in demand vehicle. However, supply is huge right now. Same buyer has seven dealers place bids and he receives more than 12 offers. Extremely competitive between the dealers and the buyer ends up buying a Prius below cost at almost 10% off MSRP. $24415 for a new Prius III that MSRP's at $27,010. That's before rebates.

Short story. The Prius is not only the most highly fuel efficient vehicle on the market today, but it is also one that you can get incredible deals on if you shop around and let dealers compete to get you a good price.

2. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is interesting, thanks for sharing. Hopefully you help counsel your clients on more than just how much dealers are willing to come off of MSRP. Between 2 manufacturers, MSRP is fairly meaningless.
    The fact that the TDI is in such high demand now means that it could possibly hold it's value longer than the Prius, so when the company pulls it out of commission, it could recoup more. Also, there are current tax incentives on the VW TDI's through the end of this year.

3. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Priuswoo!

That's what I've been trying to tell people! Unfortunately, there are certain markets where it doesn't seem to matter how may Prii are sitting on the lot, those Market still treat them as though there have the one one available and gas is still $5.00 per gallon! I was extremely luck when I purchased my new 2010 Blizzard pearl Prius III w/Nav and Floor Mats for $22,088.00 on 31 July (MSRP on this vehicle was $27,224.00). Of course no one believes me, but I don't really care because I have the paperwork to prove it and I'm extremely happy with the deal I received and the vehicle! Those willing to do the research, work the dealers, and even travel a bit, can get a good deal and save thousands! I used USAA Buying Service, but it sounds like to have a pretty cool concept pitting the various dealers against one another in a virtual reverse auction!

4. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really wanted the A3 TDI or GTI TDI when I was shopping for my prius but there wasn't stock for them within 100 miles of me for how I wanted it so I ended up with the Prius. I do miss the power and I think the TDI would have been a better fit for me since I do more highway driving but the Prii is great and I'm happy with my decision.

5. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think the demand is higher for the TDI's......there's just not enough supply.

if you look at the sales number of 2010 Jetta TDI versus 2010 Prius you'll see what I mean. Prius sales numbers crush the Jetta TDI.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One thing that you probably won't have considered but causes big problems over here where diesel and petrol cars are split 50/50 is mis-fuelling. Hire car companies and company fleets end up spending thousands every year correcting the problem where someone used to a petrol car ends up putting petrol in the new quiet diesel car they've borrowed/hired.

If they catch it before they start up or only put a very small amount in then you're ok, but if they fill it up and set off down the road then - bang. A very expensive problem and very common. Hire car companies have diesel stickers all over the filler cap yet it still happens a lot.

It could be even more of a problem in a State where diesel cars are rather rare.

The following link is from the UK AA website (UK AAA equivalent);

AA Fuel Assist : misfuelling - what to do if you've put petrol in a diesel car - The AA

Hope this helps.

7. Butkus

Butkus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are referring to the Golf diesel, you are comparing cars that are not really that similar in size, the Prius is larger and much more capable of coping with a family. Also, the VW does not come as well equipped as the Prius for the money, not to mention it is painfully boring in appearance.

Some would argue the VW is the better car, but I think the Prius wins easily, not least because Toyota has a much better reliability and customer satisfaction record than VW. VW is an overrated marque in terms of reliability and quality.

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You forgot one other thing. I know that VWs are going to generally have a much better drive and feel to them than the Prius but they are also horrendously unreliable, scoring among the worst of modern cars based on the studies I've seen (consumer reports and others). This is why for me VW would simply not be an option even if I like some of their vehicles. Their quality sucks.

1 person likes this.
  9. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I truly believe that if VW is ever going to beat Toyota to world's largest they are going to have to improve quality to at least Hyundai levels...

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great and all but what about those of us looking for the lowest possible emissions? Money is not everything. :)

11. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The tranny to to service every 60,000 miles I believe in the auto and it is over a couple hundred dollars
    and what about brake cost

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is unfair to accuse VW of poor quality and workmanship without facts and data:
    Settlement Addresses Engine-Sludge Issue In Audi A4, VW Passat - The Car Connection

Bob Wilson

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've heard some of their engines drink oil like a drunk working at a bar. Anyway, the numbers I've seen (anecdotes aside, and I've heard of many), like from consumer reports, all have damning reports on VW quality. I believe it used to be good years ago but is terrible for years now.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Barefoot

Barefoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does this forum have a policy on commercial advertising?

16. Mike4puy

Mike4puy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would take the TDI, end of story...

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No comparison - Prius is a nice little family car, GTI is an edgy little hot hatchback with a reputation for suspect reliability and expensive maintenance.

Consumer Reports has lots of GTI data, it's listed as average reliability, but there are black circles in just about every category, and as usual, half the years are blanked out.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this some kind of troll OP?

VW GTI runs on premium, 91 pump octane gasoline.

A Golf or Jetta TDI run on diesel.

19. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just for kicks...bright side? VW is better than Land Rover and Hummer!

Attached Files:

20. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

In other words:

The GTI is that saucy firecracker of a high-maintenance girl next door that you know is gonna break your heart and dump you when you want more than just fun.

The Prius is the quiet wallflower, attractive in a nerdy way, but will never leave your side and the one mom wants you to settle down and raise a family with.