1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A body mod - Remove Rear Ground Effects

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kh6kine, Dec 11, 2009.

1. kh6kine

kh6kine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did this "mod" on my car when it was about 2 weeks old. My driveway ramp is short and steep, and I scraped while backing into the garage.

In the first several times this happened, the rear "spolier" popped out of the mounts, but I was able to just whack the thing back into place.

One day, the rear dragged so much it tore off the corner of the rear bottom spoiler (passenger side).

Unfortunately, this last time I couldn't put it back in place, the little barb-fastener was broken.

So, after thinking about this - I could either just let the thing hang, and let it flex, risking further damage, go to a body shop to get it fixed (only to have it scrape on the driveway), or I can just pull the whole thing off.

So, I took it off. It looked horrible with only the driver side thing in place, so I got my tools out and removed both sides.

Other than the funny slots in the bumper, this is an improvement - and I gain about 2 inches of ground clearance.

Now to patch the slots....

I am sure this impacts drag coefficient, and may lose a fraction of a MPG............

Attached Files:

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well it looks fine tho! I have a clearance issue too, but not at the back. If we're full of passengers my car high centers just a touch going into the garage. Steep ramp up to it and not quite gentle enough taper into the level garage.

- D

3. Inspire

Inspire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting look...I've been thinking about how it would look like painted body color! D: