1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A British opinion on future of hybrids

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Jan 21, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../601210460/1148

Lots of opinion about the bleak future of hybrids and diesel but this Autos Insider from Sussex doesn't seem to offer any alternatives or even a central conclusion other than nothing's going to help or we're all doomed. Some of the usual drivel, 'hybrids cost $3,000 to $5,000 extra...' yada yada yada. Not sure where he's going with it but has some interesting information.

2. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

This article is somewhat funny in his writing style, especially when it comes to the Super Chief, but there are a couple of things I have problems with:

If the public isn't demanding them, who is buying them? And why are there still waiting lists?

But here it says "hybrid demand"...The first part may be true - but I highly doubt the second part.

Agreed. The Euro's still love'm though.

sure, a little public relations....and a LOT OF CONSUMER DEMAND!!! Strange, it's rare to see a commercial for any hybrid....but the regular vehicles are being shoved down your throat every 30 seconds. But look how well they are selling none-the-less!

When reading this, other articles regarding hybrids, and listening to the CEO's of the domestic auto makers, I can't help but feel that they only talk to themselves when it comes to what the people want. Nowhere do I see or hear of these folks actually talking to a consumer, Joe Blow & Jane Doe on the street (no offense Joe and Jane). You would be amazed to find out just how many folks out there, my co-workers and friends, actually want a hybrid vehicle but are not in the financial position right now (i.e. owe $20K on a 7 year old domestic SUV). Even a couple of my honky-tonk co-workers in their big trucks are looking forward to the day they can have their cake and eat it too (big truck in hybrid form).

Automakers: "We'll make hybrids to appease the few hippies, but this is not what they want. They want power."

Media: "This hybrid technology is nifty, but this is not what they want. They want whatever the automakers sell."

Consumers: "Wth Guys...I'd love to buy your product but can you make one like I want it please?"

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My feelings exactly. When listening to the UAW and GM or Ford or Delphi, they're always talking about themselves and each other. They always forget who matters most. The consumer is like the kid in a divorce, caught in the middle with your needs forgotten. They don't care about us and they never have. One reason that GM doesn't have a hybrid is that they just never listen to the consumer. Their idea of their customer is the dealer.

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    As soon as I saw "detnews" in the link, I knew roughly what was in it before reading it. Yes, they talk to themselves. That's why Detroit is what Detroit now is.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First line says it all

"Car manufacturers might be terrible at making money..."

Sure.. I assume 1 trillion yen is not a lot of profit... (~US$10B)