1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C automatically on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ozymandias, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I am still getting used to how the whole electronic climate control system works. One thing I noticed is that once I turn climate control totally off, the instant I turn it back on (by selecting a fan speed), the yellow "indicator light" on the the AC button is yellow, even though I have the temperature set to 75 degrees and it is below freezing outside! What gives?

2. razzledazzlebee

razzledazzlebee New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ozymandias @ Feb 24 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]395676[/snapback]</div>
    The trick is to tap "Auto" and that puts Auto & A/C on. Then, just tap A/C, and that'll take t off, and still leave the "Auto" on. Good luck!

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You have to remember AC is NOT Air Conditioning - or rather, it is but in the literal sense of the phrase. It's heating as well as cooling.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ozymandias @ Feb 23 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]395676[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius is the smartest car on the road, including the climate control system. Yes, you can turn off the compressor as described, but why would you want to? The Prius' Air Conditioning system has a humidity sensor, so if your hot breath in the cold winter starts to fog the windows, the compressor will come on at low speed (compressor speed, not fan speed) to provide dried conditioned air at the temperature you have set. If it's very sunny, and you get heat buildup through the windows, the air conditioning system will reduce the call for heat from the ICE to keep you comfortable. When you start the car in the cold, electric heating elements warm the cabin air, not heat from the ICE until it is operating at temperature.

The best advice about the Air Conditioning system? Set it and forget it. Enjoy your new car, you're getting better fuel economy than you ever have had before.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    All very well, but the "AC" light in the corner of the screen does indicate the cooling part - the compressor - as the original poster thought. Whereas all the other AC references like the "A/C AUTO" light and button mean climate control generally. Very poor UI design there.

But the important point is that the AC light only means that the compressor is enabled to run if the automatic controls think it is necessary, depending on target temperature and ambient conditions. It doesn't mean it's going to run all the time. Turning the button off means it can't ever run the compressor, and has to make do with fresh air.

6. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Feb 24 2007, 04:04 AM) [snapback]395748[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh, good to know. I won't worry about it then. Thanks

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ozymandias @ Feb 24 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]395763[/snapback]</div>
    I used to fuss with my climate control, thinking I could do a better job than the computer, but now I just set the temperature and forget it. Once in a great while I push the defrost button on the steering wheel, but usually the computer beats me to that too.

Tom

8. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ozymandias @ Feb 24 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]395676[/snapback]</div>
    the "AC" button on the climate control will be on when the system is on automatic. It does not necessarily mean that compressor is running, but it will when it determines it needs to. Many other cars do the same thing. And for decades, many cars used outside temperature sensor to switch the AC compressor on and off for the windshield defog setting. Heck, I had a '76 Pinto that did that. The Prius climate control is hardly the smartes on the road - I have a Chrsyler with climate control just as smart, if not smarter - it does eveything the Prius system does, and adds driver and passenger controls.

I used to get irritated with that car running the compressor when it was cold and rainy out, but it made sense. Air Conditioning controls humidity, which makes the defogger much more effective.

Like many others that drive cars with auto climate control, I just set mine a forget it. Pretty much limit my control to the two buttons on the steering wheel - "Auto AC" or windshield defog as needed.

9. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the info, all.

I have been fiddling, turning A/C off after turning Auto on. I'll just set it to Auto and select the temp I want.

On short trips on cold days, I'll turn the climate control completely off so I can get auto-stop at lights. As long as I'm dressed warm and it's a short trip, it works for me.

Harry