1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C blowing hot in 2001 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jetsonj, Sep 22, 2009.

1. jetsonj

jetsonj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the A/C freon/?? is leaking out of my 2001 Prius. Two questions....

1. The first time I took it to the mechanic for the A/C, which was blowing hot, they put in $120 of freon/??, and said it was fixed. The A/C stopped working after a few uses. When I returned, they said they hadn't used dye to check for leaks, they'd used a "sniffer", so they would use dye this time for free. The found the leak. Should they have used dye the first time, or is this a common practice? They say the leak is small enough that it couldn't be detected using the first method.

2. Are there gaskets that could be replaced around the compressor? Is this a job a mechanic would do, or would they all just want to replace the part (I'm told it's attached to the radiator, and will cost over $700 in parts to replace both parts -seriously? who makes a car like that?). Or is it possible to use the kits in the auto parts stores that add some sealant and recharge? I read posts about the Gen II Prius warning against this, but nothing about the A/C in the Gen 1 - are they the same?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not trained in air conditioner work but I know it takes certification and they are required to minimize freon loss.

We'd need a better description of the parts involved. However, the NHW11 radiator has both the air conditioner condenser built-in with the coolant core. This is a pretty expensive part.

Bob Wilson

3. LeviSmith

LeviSmith Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If they put in $120 worth of freon I think you might be paying a bit much...
    #1, the system uses R134a.
    #2, Last I looked the system hold less than two $15 cans of R134...

For $120, (especially if they didn't do any leak checking) I'm thinking they charged you about $100/hr+ for the time it took to vacuum and charge the system even though it probably involved about 15 minutes of their time...

Levi