1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a/c BUSTED - fair price?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jamielu, May 8, 2008.

1. jamielu

jamielu New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's not often that I'm blessed with a chance to visit the service dept over at the dealership (thank you prius, you've been so good!!!!!) However, life goes on, things die, and just when summer starts to rear it's glossy head from the clouds...a/c's get busted.
    First time I've had to deal with a major repair like this. SO I can use some perspective on what may be considered a 'fair price'. check it:

2005 Prius, pkg #5 - 51,000 Miles so far - Warranty is OUT

Dealer told me the expansion valve needs to be replaced along with the receiver-drier. Labor will included dismantling the entire dash so they can access these components. Dealer is quoting me $1,511 to fix the problem.

problem is a weak performing a/c. obviously.

so before I go into shock - is this a fair price? do I have other options? DIY? I'll do it too!!!!:D

thank ya'll,
    Jamie from Tejas.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's a bit on the steep side, but within range. If you have the knowledge, consider downloading the service manual directly from Toyota and trying it yourself

I remember when receiver/dryer assemblies were easy to change. With the Prius, you have to get to the evaporator coil, which is really buried in there

3. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yep that's what the stealership quoted me too, then i went to where i bought my prius and they fixed it for only 400 bucks! what a steal!

out of curiosity look deep down from the top and see if your a/c pipe is disconnected? its the lowest pipe hanging from the bottom so a good bump could cause it to go loose from its fitting and spray its r134 refridgrant everywhere!