1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C cabin blower not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gary renelt, Jul 17, 2014.

1. gary renelt

gary renelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 with 240,000 miles

I have changed the blower motor once already, about 60,000 miles ago. It fan has been working intermittently, but has recently stopped completely. I ironically had the battery replaced on the same day (morning) tht the blower stopped. Because of the intermittent operation, I don not think a fuse is the culprit. I stopped at a dealer and the service manager, because I couldn't leave the vehicle suggested that I may be a relay. Any thoughts from anyone? thanks for the help....

also, wth the outside air flow option on, I am getting cold air trickling through the vents.

#1 gary renelt, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved out of technical.

3. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like it needs to be replaced again.

Did you replace it with new OEM, used OEM or aftermarket. How often have you been changing/cleaning the cabin filter? Do you park under a tree where it is always full of leaves?

4. gary renelt

gary renelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe it was aftermarket - I am a smoker, have changed to cabin filter about every 50,000 - blow it out with compressed air in between changes. No trees nearby when parked, but we do have ag around us so certain times of year the dust can kick up. What might the cabin filter have to do with the fan motor working?

Thanks for your response.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To the extent that dirt or smoke particles are circulating around and getting past the filter into the fan, that might cause the fan to fail sooner vs. later. When the fan is removed (if you don't do the work yourself) ask for the part to be saved so you can look at it.