1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C compressor not working!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cngrevolution, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cngrevolution

cngrevolution Dallas Realtor

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So I have a 05 prius and it seems like about a month ago it stopped working. It has about 42K on it and it seems a little pre-mature for the compressor to go out. I checked the freon level and it is giving me weird readings. Very low on the high side and high on the low side. I drained all the freon and put in new freon. When you start the car you can hear the compressor come on for a few seconds along with the cooling fan and then it turns off. when the compressor comes on it sounds like its gears are stripped. i know its electric so could this be? of course the warranty is out so its all me if i take it in but just wanted to see if others have had any problems. thanks!

2. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    either your compressor is shot, or your pressure switch, or theres a problem with the drier

the prius compressor uses ONLY ND-11 oil, if you put normal ester oil your compressor will be killed..

trust me i didnt try any other oil, i only bought ND - 11

but if the compressor kicks on then off, most likely its the pressure switch. You need to vacuum the entire system for about 30 minutes to get all the moisture out, then check if it hold the vacuum, then charge with ND-11 and HFC-134A.
    If this doesnt work, you need to get a new pressure switch or check the drier.