1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Compressor Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 'LectroFuel, Jan 21, 2017.

1. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted a thread a couple months ago about my compressor problem and no one responded, not even bisco...o_O

My 2005 Prius A/C compressor started to sound like a blender blending metal. I took it into the Toyota dealer this week and they said the A/C compressor had no oil in it and metal had ripped through the A/C system. I ordered a new A/C compressor for $500, $1600 for flushing the system of sharp metal pieces and taking apart the entire A/C system, and then $300 for a new evaporator. This is by far the most I've ever payed for repairs on this car. I feel like I payed too much and I've been ripped by ANOTHER Toyota dealer.

Have any of you had this problem with the compressor? How could the oil have disappeared? The technician said this is extremely rare and he has no idea how the oil is gone. I attached some pictures:

The metal shards and empty oil
    IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

And here is the trouble they went through IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

Yeesh! They better get this right!

#1 'LectroFuel, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Patrick Wong and bisco like this.
  2. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whoa! That's a lot of money. Hope they get it working without any further expenses.
    Good luck!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  3. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is sh*t!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, missed that one.:oops: there are others here who have had similar problem. it's one of the things i try to warn prospective purchasers about. there are several systems on this car that are way more expensive than a gasser. even though they might be rare failures, it's no fun if it's you.

we even had a member with a 2012 pip with 68,000 miles who traded it in on a rav4, because the a/c went out just past warranty, and they wanted $2,500. to fix it.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's astounding that the interior has to be gutted like this:

upload_2017-1-21_6-56-14.png

Ease of maintenance (and cost!) is very evidently not a priority for Toyota.

'LectroFuel, bisco and Bluegrassman like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, not very well thought out.

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not that uncommon to have to pull the dash to replace the air conditioning evaporator. I’ve never had to pull the dash from Prius but it looks simpler than the cars that I had to do it on so 1600 dollars sounds a lot for the work.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had evaporators replaced on a Volvo and a Dodge. The dash needed to come apart on both of them. In each case it took about 8 hours of labor to replace, so I'm not surprised at the amount of work involved in replacing the evaporator. I'd be more concerned about why the dealer is replacing the evaporator when they don't know where the leak is.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I guess what bothers me is what a cacophony. I'm sure it could be more modularized. The manufacturers don't take the initiative, everything practically disposable.

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why would the modularizing it even further be the answer to maintaining? Car parts are already sold as big assemblies so when something breaks you have to buy expensive assembly instead of just the failed part.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wrong words maybe. Just look at the pic maybe. Gotta be possible to improve on that, looks like brain surgery in progress.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It doesn’t really look that bad. You do get used to this sort of work. I do have exactly same looking pictures from some Audis.

Maybe Toyota could use some master plugs with separate wiring harness for dash but that would add extra connectors and depending on how they’re done it might not simplify the proses that much.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as everything still works as planned. Crossing my fingers... I forgot to mention I got a free 2015 Corolla loaner that I've had for the past 4 days.

bisco likes this.
  14. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been with this Toyota dealer for a while even though I have another Toyota dealer in town (which has lied about broken parts on my car). I drive 20 minutes farther for this one because they take pride in their work, are reasonable, and give free things out (like car washes and loaners:LOL:). And they got the price down to a point where I'm not giving up on the car.

Bluegrassman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ikr, the steering wheel is connected to the dashboard, but on the floor. Good luck to the DIY folks on doing this job! lol

16. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wouldn’t say that this kind of work is that hard for DIY. All you need is organization and take pictures.

If you live somewhere where they use a lot of road salt then all suspension and undercarriage work has high likelihood of surprises that multiply the work time and require special tools especially if you don’t have acetylene torch. With interior work you don’t even (probably) going to have rusty bolts to deal with.

17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes! What a job. I know they have to take apart a lot for the evaporator, but that looks like a whole lot. The evaporator and compressor both developed leaks on my wife's '05. That was a little over $1,600 at a friend's shop. They got it all put back together and working, but did manage to misassemble one piece of plastic that was an easy fix. About three months later, a texter totaled the car while we were waiting at a red light.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2005 has 250K miles according to the OP's signature, so perhaps it would have been better to drop off the car at a salvage yard with the title and walk away... The market value of the car approaches the repair price cited by the OP.

The dealer repair price seems reasonable considering the installation of new parts and the labor cost associated with removing the dashboard and the entire AC system for cleaning... Which dealer is doing the service?

The OP asked where the oil went. Probably through a leak at the evaporator. Was the AC system performance marginal prior to this catastrophic failure? Was the refrigerant replaced previously?

'LectroFuel likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Frustrating to see a peripheral system taking a car off the road, but there it is. Maybe would have been best to just drive it without AC.

Could the initial problem be that the system was recharged at some point, without oil??

20. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    proper recharging of a/c requires adding some oil w/ dye in it, so that when the system gets weak again its easy to see where the leak is. I know some techs are careless and don't always do it.
    evaporator replacement is almost always a huge expensive job. a '90's Benz S class its about 40 hours labor at more than $100/hr. and even for 40 hours, I still dread having to do it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.