1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Condenser Leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by redprius2011, Jan 12, 2024.

1. redprius2011

redprius2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, my 2011 gen 3 a/c condenser leaked fluid, can i unplug black connector from a/c condenser and keep driving it before i change a/c? This happened when turned on windshield defroster, why does the air conditioner turns on when I turn on the windshield defroster? also cooling fans keeps turning on and off.[​IMG]

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What you have circled there in red I believe is the overcharge protection piece It blows out when overcharged or something along those lines so maybe your system is way overcharged or something has somebody been playing with it? Unplugging the black connector from the condenser Not sure about that maybe undo the connector right by the aluminum block where the pressure switch is that should keep the unit from coming on You could unplug the compressor It just has a plug on the back of it I believe put a piece of tape over the plug you on did electrical tape and secure it to a hose or something with a pan do it strap I had mine undone for a month or two.

3. redprius2011

redprius2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At first I thought it was too overcharged, but electric fans keeps turning on and off, this is a sign of an electrical short, it lasted all summer, sometimes i got "check hybrid system" error when I turned on A/C, i did unplug black connector and accelarator pedal feels more responsible..

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The unit you saw the leak on (and that has the black connector) is the A/C compressor. The condenser is behind the car's grille.

It is not unusual for the fans to cycle on and off; they are controlled according to the temperature and pressure.

The A/C turns on with the defroster for its effect in dehumidifying the air. The drier air defrosts the windshield better.