1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Fail- Inverter Fuse blown, Harness fused.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Inglysh, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Inglysh

Inglysh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh man. I had a perfectly good working car yesterday.
    I am ashamed - I was changing plugs and the PCV. Putting it back together, the AC failed to operate but all other systems were working fine.
    Looking over the car, I couldn't see anything out of place, like a harness I failed to reconnect, etc.
    While inspecting some wires & fuses - car was off - I turned back on the car to see if that had made any change and I was hit with a "Check Hybrid System" message. Raining now.

Being concerned and because I didn't want to pay for a tow, I drove it to my shop so they could take a look at it. They just called and are indicating that the harness to the ac compressor has likely fused and that a fuse in the the inverter was blown. The service writer was not optimistic with the potential outcome and thinks we might end up chasing our tales on this one trying to get it sorted.

Here's what I did:
    I removed the windshield wipers, and the plastic/metal assembly to which they are mounted.
    I removed the coils, removed and replaced the spark plugs. I replaced the coils, checked for correct operation and reassembled what I'd just taken apart.

Then I attempted to access the PCV from the top. I removed the air box, unplugged a (perhaps a few) wire(s) and got down to the throttle body. I thought I'd be able to access the pcv at this point however I was not able to so I put back in place what i'd removed.

Then I lifted up the car, removed the underside cowling. From here I was able to access the pcv.
    I removed and installed a new pcv and replaced the cowling. I had to push a coolant hose out of the way a bit and for a just a few seconds I put some pressure on the ac compressor power cable - it was light pressure, I can't believe that it was enough to cause significant/catastrophic damage.

I replaced the cowling, lowered the car, moved it briefly and parked it overnight.
    I didn't notice the AC wasn't working until the next morning.

Upon noticing the AC not working, I inspected the work that I'd done from the night before. I visually inspected the cable I put tension on to see if it was damaged or had failed. It appeared normal.

I then went through the manual and checked all related fuses in the engine bay fuse panel and then underneath in the cabin fuse panel. I didn't remove any in the cabin, just the engine bay. Vehicle was off when checking the fuses.

I then started the vehicle to see if there were any HVAC codes. There were none and the display just flashed "00".

The vehicle was up in the air so I lowered it. I turned the vehicle back on and then I got the "Check Hybrid System" notification. Pouring now.

Immediately took it to the shop - they just gave me the bad news.

I just don't know how I could have f'd up so badly.

Now I have to tell the wife. She won't be impressed.

2. Inglysh

Inglysh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So my question is, I suppose, how bad could this possibly be?

We replace the wiring to the AC compressor and the fuse in the inverter, what are the odds that another electrical issue comes up as a result of the first? How deep, in other words, does this rabbit hole go... and how long do I/ how much money do i put towards resolving it before I cut bait?

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A short must have definitely caused this problem.

If the harness and the fuse aren't expensive, fix it, and see what happens afterwards.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is pretty old, but I just found it. I hope you got it sorted out.

I can see the possibility that, if there was a flaw in the insulation in that harness, the pressure you put on it could cause a short. If so, replacing the harness and fuse should be all it needed. Did it turn out like that?