1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C fan switch??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KristyP477, May 5, 2017.

1. KristyP477

KristyP477 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My AC wasn't blowing out cold air and I went to the dealership where they recharged it. It still wasn't blowing cold so they ran a diagnostic and said the AC fan switch is faulty and would cost me $600 to fix it and the part is $230 itself. The system works on all speeds and the only problem I have is that it is blowing warm air. Where is this fan switch located and where can I get it?? Is this a part of the blower resistor or something completely different?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this the servo motor?

SM-N900P ?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My first guess would be they're talking about the condenser fans (up front under the hood), not the cabin fan under the dash, and there are several switches and relays involved in controlling the fans up front. You might ask them to show you which one, or describe it better.

I guess it's possible they could mean the pressure switch, which is located in the liquid refrigerant line under the hood, in the same little metal block as the sight glass. It looks like it could be unscrewed and replaced on its own, but from what I see on villagetoyotaparts.com it isn't sold separately; they just sell a new liquid line that includes it, which looks like about $208 list / $150 discounted.

Of course replacing the liquid line requires evacuating/reclaiming the refrigerant, then re-evacuating and recharging the system, so there's labor and refrigerant included in the bill.

But again, I'm only speculating on what part they meant. There are other possibilities.

-Chap

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From the sketchy diagrams I found online, there are two fan control relays for the condenser fans. If the condenser fan(s) DO NOT run with the AC on high and the vehicle parked, but the low side line is cold, then I would start with checking the relays.

The "dealer" violated law by even charging your system w/o correcting the leak that caused the under-charge condition.