1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C hot, disconnect/reconnect 12v, works fine now???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rugger1218, Jul 6, 2021.

1. rugger1218

rugger1218 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK...this is a new one on me being a first time Prius owner.

AC went out, blew hot. I stopped the car. Turned it off. waited a min and restarted. Compressor kicked on and all was fine for 5 min and it went out again.

Fan was fine. Blew just fine, just wasnt cooled air. Drove another 20 min. Got freon and got my gauge. Hooked it up and read 80lbs...very high. Took gauges off. Disconnect the 12v battery (-).

OOPS!!!! car was on! My bad. Hit the button and turned it off.

Waited a couple min and reconnected battery.

All good for 3 days now. Havent checked the pressure.

Air is nice and cold.

This is a new one on me.

In FL. Is this an indicator of future problems??

Tips appreciated.

Thanks.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    This might be a failing inverter coolant pump, if the inverter overheats the AC shuts down (compressor runs on HV), among other things.

When was the ICP last replaced, and do notice any turbulence in the coolant reservoir?

You can check for dealer related maintenance by entering the VIN here : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably the inverter pump.

What’s the ac sight hole look like?

And how did the Freon levels become high are you using parts store injector cans?

I live by you take it ICE COLD AIR I use the one in Clearwater they know Prius really well.

4. rugger1218

rugger1218 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I went to Advanced and got a can. I've ordered the pump and plan to take it somewhere for a recharge if the gauge is high like it was.

As far as the sight hole, when I looked, it was before i cycled the power. There was no flow, but i'm pretty sure the compressor was shut down at the time. Also, that reading of 80ish lbs was also at the same time...compressor wasnt running.

Any warnings on part store freon cans??

#4 rugger1218, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021