1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C is not working properly....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by saelee39, Aug 12, 2008.

1. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My compressor went bad a couple of weeks ago, and had to replace it. A week after getting the repair done at the dealer, my A/C is not working properly.

My A/C is always on max cold, when you drive on the freeway it works, blowing ice cold air. However, when I am driving in the city, it blows hot air, then cool as i drive, and back to hot.

When I had the compressor replaced, they also refill it with refrigerant. I spent about $1500 for this AC service. Its been 100+ here in the valley all summer long and this sucks.

What can this problem be before going back to the dealer?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Based upon the above, I understand that the air conditioner works when your car is at speed, and doesn't work when you are at a standstill or driving slowly. If true, then my guess is that the radiator fans are inoperative.

3. Bear68

Bear68 Member

I gotta agree with Patrick. If the R-134A charge is full, the next most likely cause of your syptoms would be inoperative fans. No airflow over the condensor = no heat transfer. Set the A/C to max cold and pop the hood, you should be able to see and hear the cooling fans running at least 90% of the time.

Good Luck.

4. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a buddy looked inside the hood and found out that the compressor keeps spinning on and off. Does this mean that the compressor is bad? I was told something about the compression? Does the Toyota Dealership warranty there work? So this means that the diagnosis will be free of charge right? Thanks...

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not sure how your buddy would know the status of the compressor. It is electric, not belt-driven; hence there is no clutch to look at, and it is not obvious when the compressor is on and when it is off.

You should expect to pay for an hour of dealer tech labor to find out what is wrong. If the problem is a warranted part, then the dealer would waive the labor charge.

Did you look at the radiator fans to see whether they are running when the air conditioner is turned on?

6. Bear68

Bear68 Member

ummm Just a little safety note here when letting a buddy open the hood.

Remember that the A/C compressor is HIGH VOLTAGE!! Don't get too carried away with playing around with it.

7. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes the radiator fan is running when the AC is on.

When looked under the hood with the AC running, you can hear something keeps clicking on(ac cold) and off (ac hot) . I was advise that the compressor was turning on and off.

Does this sound right? Any last minute advice before going back to the dealer,

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the best thing you can do now is : look at the little glass thats left off the air intake.

there is a metal pipe with a plastic grey thing on it with the letter "H" on it! ( this is the high presure side of the ac system )
    next to that there is a eye glass.
    you can see the refrigerant inside the AC system.
    when you start the car and put it in ready mode the compressor will start running.
    then look into the little glass and see if you see bubbles
    Dont forget that you need to do this when the car is cold and the ac system not on for a while.

-if you don't see anything then you don't have anything in there ( not the case now because you have cooling at highway speeds )
    -if you see bubbles and after a while start to disappear then there is enough in there
    -IF you keep seeing bubbles then you need to refill.
    -IF a refill work but after time the problem is back then you have a leak.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, maybe the clicking is due to an incorrect refrigerant charge. It's time to let the dealer tech handle the problem.

The compressor has a variable-speed motor, so it should be running pretty much all the time assuming that the A/C button is on.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One stupid mistake previously reported is that the fan was re-installed facing backwards.

11. Alex7

Alex7 Junior Member

I have a 2006 Prius that has a similar problem with the A/C. In my case the A/C has a tendency to stop blowing cold air when it's over 105 degrees outside for a long period, but then works normally otherwise. I haven't noticed if driving the car at slow speeds has anything to do with it either. The problem has been recurrent but I haven't had time to take it back to a dealer yet.

12. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a buddy looked inside the hood and found out that the compressor keeps spinning on and off.

When looked under the hood with the AC running, you can hear something keeps clicking on(ac cold) and off (ac hot) . I was advise that the compressor was turning on and off.

I'd say your friend confused the cooling fan operation with the compressor, which is sealed. And after spending 1500 for an a/c that doesn't always work , I'd expect a free check.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you dont see the compressor go on and off because its not belt driven.
    maybe a ac relay broken?

14. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the system pressure is most likely low, or even possibly high , resulting in the compressor kicking off when the system builds pressure.

and the reason might be the condensor not being cooled off.