1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dsunman, Feb 7, 2006.

1. dsunman

dsunman New Member

my first post here.
    I've noticed that if my A/C is completly OFF and then I just turn the windshield defogger on and then off the A/C turns itself automatically. When I turn the defogger off I want to be back to the original condition OFF for everything. But instead the A/C gets activated and I have to go to CLIMATE and turn it off.
    Anyone knows why?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    don't know why they set it up that way, but i think it annoys just about everyone.

edited to add:
    and welcome to PriusChat. would have included that to begin with... but i'm a bit groggy this morning. :lol:

3. dsunman

dsunman New Member

thank you. I thought it was something I was doing wrong :)

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    it's important to point out thought that the AC isn't neccesarily runnning just because the AC but is lit. The Prius is "smart" enough to not use the AC when it doesn't have to (though directing air to the windshield will make it use the AC). So while it's annoying it shouldn't be the end of the world to have the AC button lit.

5. dsunman

dsunman New Member

but the fan speed is also lit automatically and I do feel heat/cold coming from the vents. Sounds like you are talking about AUTO A/C which will not run if not necessary, but when you are not on AUTO A/C and do not want anything coming from your vents then the only way is to go to CLIMATE and turn it OFF.

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    not sure I understand the difference.

I tend to run in two modes. System OFF or system in AUTO... I can switch this using the steering wheel button.... Sure when the system is in auto it will have the AC button on but if the outside air is cool enough it will not use the AC... then when I hit the AC AUTO on/off button on the steering wheel ahain it will shut down the system and I feel no air running at all..

What am I missing? I guess you want to run the fan on a hot day but not use the AC? Yes for this I think you have to go to the Climate page and hit AC off on the screen

7. dsunman

dsunman New Member

I am not talking about AUTO at all.
    My initial question is not about running a fan on hot day but not use AC :(
    I am talking about this exact sequence NO AC (not lit, nothing coming from the vents), turning defogger on, turning defogger off. AC is now lit. I don't want it lit. I want it OFF, just like before I turned the defogger on.

I think galaxee answered my question stating that that's just a bad design :(

8. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's explained in the manual. You do not have to go to "CLIMATE" to switch a/c on or off: just touch the a/c key on the steering wheel. Very easy and no trouble when you get used to it. If you keep a/c on all the time you almost never need your de-misting options except perhaps early on a very cold morning.

9. dsunman

dsunman New Member

Ohhh, again this was not my question.
    But, when you press A/C on the steering wheel you will activate Auto A/C and I don't want to do that. I want to shut off A/C not Auto A/C

10. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had several cars that automaticaaly put the A/C on when you engage the front windshield defroster. Just click climate, then push the A/C button, which shuts it off. Or push the A/C button on your steering wheel. It's not just a Prius thing.

11. dsunman

dsunman New Member

when you press it on the steering wheel you actually activate Auto A/C instead of turning A/C off. The thing is that on the steering wheel you only have Auto A/C On and Auto A/C off. So in order to turn off A/C (not Auto A/C) you need to go to CLIMATE and turn it off there.
    I found that to be PITA
    That's all.

12. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Might I suggest that the reason your windscreen gets misted up and you have to activate the front demister is that your climate control is totally off?

And the behaviour that "AUTO A/C" activates A/C can be disabled by the dealer. It can be changed to be a simple toggle that keeps the A/C switch in whatever state you last left it.

Likewise, the temporary turn on of the A/C switch when you ask for front demist can be deactivated by the dealer.

13. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I got mine switched to manual on off.
    Much better.

14. dsunman

dsunman New Member

thank you

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you say you "want to shut off A/C not Auto A/C", do you mean that you want the fan (and heat) to be running and coming out of the vents, but not be air conditioning the air? If so, then what people said is correct; A/C is put on in the defroster and you have to manually turn it off through the MFD (unless you have it changed at the dealer).

However, your original post suggested that you wanted EVERYTHING off (i.e. with the heat off and the vents closed). If THAT is the case, than you can do what Walker1 suggested:

1. Push windshield defrost button on S/W: windshield defroster on (with A/C)
    2. Push windshield defrost button again: System goes into Auto A/C
    3. Push Auto A/C button on S/W: system turns off.

16. dsunman

dsunman New Member

it doesn't go to AUTO A/C, it goes to A/C. it goes to Auto if you were on Auto to begin with.

17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not totally sure (I'll check when I go home), but I'm fairly certain that, if I turn the front defroster on (with the button on the steering wheel) and then turn it off (by pushing that same button again), the system goes into A/C Auto. You can then turn off the Climate Control by pushing the A/C Auto button again.

BTW, this is on a 2005 in the USA, if that makes any difference.

18. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had that exact same problem. I figured out a way around it. When you turn off the front defog, the AUTO A/C comes on.

On the MFD climate control, while it is still AUTO A/C, change the airflow from the floor to the 2nd or 3rd icon which should be either front vent or front vent and feet. Turn the climate control system off and then try turning on the front defog and then turning it back off... the AUTO A/C should not come on again.