1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Light On when Heating

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by coyote303, Oct 16, 2013.

1. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It was the first really cold day since I got my car--40 degrees F. outside. I hit the Auto button and bumped the temperature up to 78 degrees. The A/C light came on. I tried turning the system off and then on (now that the temperature is set higher), and I got the same thing: the A/C light came on.

Is this normal or should I have this looked at next time I take my car in for service?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be able to heat without the A/C but note that if you're in AUTO and the A/C light is on, it doesn't mean it's running. The two lights mean that the A/C compressor is in AUTO and will cycle on and off as needed.

In addition, if it's humid, you would be advised to keep the A/C light on with AUTO so that it can act as a dehumidifier and dry the air so that your windows don't fog up (especially if you have to hit recirculate to keep diesel fumes or other smell out).

AliIzad and coyote303 like this.