1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Not Cold, Sometimes Hot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johnnyb588, Oct 1, 2015.

1. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I just bought a 2007 Prius a couple of days ago and noticed on my drive home the first day after purchase that the A/C got hot when I was accelerating onto the freeway and remained hot for a couple of minutes after that. I turned it off then turned it back on, and it blew cold air for a couple of minutes, then settled on a "cool-but-not-cold" middle ground. When I test drove the vehicle, I ran the A/C, but since it wasn't overly warm, I didn't notice that the car struggles to reach "cold" and mostly blows only "cool" air.

Anyway, I brought the car to a dedicated Toyota/Lexus mechanic (not a dealership, I know a lot of people will recommend that, but the dealerships in my area will charge literally twice as much for ANY service, and most of the time more), and I'm just posting this to put another solution up on the boards once a fix is found. I like DIY stuff, but A/C is one of those things I just don't mess with.

I'll post solutions as they become available. If you have any thoughts on what the issue might be, feel free to chime in.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A common fault with the Prius if it has had any front end damage is that the two electric fans on the rads get changed over. Since they counter rotate the airflow from them is reversed "air blowing out of the front of the car when stationary with AC on" The cure is to swap over the fan blades side to side "not the motors".
    At certain speeds the air blowing out is counteracting the air trying to enter the front of the car, and so ending up with no airflow.

John

3. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What's the first rule of IT support? "Is it plugged in?"

Just got the call from the mechanic that the electrical connector next to the high pressure knob was loose. Plugged it in all the way, and now it's working fine. It's times like this that I always try to remember when that next hefty repair bill comes. :)