1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Not Working after Disconnecting Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JayR2, Jul 29, 2024 at 10:17 AM.

1. JayR2

JayR2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone! I’m new here and just recently got a 2010 with 196k mi. Doing some work on it to get it in tip top shape (seems like previous owners took it to the cheap shops or just diy) The AC worked with cold air but I could not turn it off with the button, so I opted to just turn the whole climate system off when I’m done with it. So no fan mode. Once I disconnected the battery for some other work (system reset) it never came back on. AC button doesn’t function. I ran the built in climate control diagnostic, no codes. It doesn’t come on through the defoggers, no luck with Auto. Fuses are checked (to my knowledge) but I’m unsure where to find that one fuse in the inverter. Last night I did my best understanding TechStream and came up with a code B1476 in the Air Conditioning code scanner. I followed the instructions for code B1476 and did see that the hose was bubbling a bit through the sight glass. The compressor got up to the desired rpms during testing. Could low refrigerant/a leak cause issues like this? What else should I check? Is there a way to get more info off of TechStream? I know that software is limited in regards to that. Im not too familiar with the prius platform so any tips on where to look would help.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Pretty much air conditioning is air conditioning this is mobile air conditioning so while all that's going on and you see some bubbles in the sight glass the fat hoes with the gray cap marked with an l which is low side when the system is running that's the low side that hose and aluminum pipe should be getting cold like refrigerated? Do you feel that We just want to ascertain that the refrigeration cycle is in fact happening there should be a button with an illumination above it stating that the air conditioning system is on the compressor switch is activated etc hear the compressor running even if it's a little low it'll try and pump the low fluid up with a little higher RPM and start making cold If this is what's happening turn it off and get it filled up and done however whether DIY or properly at the dealer it should still be full and not having to scream bloody murder and RPM just to make some cold ❄️