1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C only works over to mph or in idle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joe Chandler, May 20, 2017.

1. Joe Chandler

Joe Chandler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 Prius A/C works great ~over 50mph or in idle but 1-50 it blows warm humid air. The compressor kicks on fine, no idea why it would work at high speed or in idle but not at low/medium speeds.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this all the time or after you drive for 15 minutes? Maybe it needs more refrigerant?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check the refrigerant sight glass. If it is bubbling, then you should have it checked by a certified a/c mechanic.

4. Joe Chandler

Joe Chandler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all the time, I'm gonna try some hybrid refrigerant and see if that works, I didn't think that would be the issue since it works at high speeds.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was the car in a front end accident? Check fan direction.

6. Joe Chandler

Joe Chandler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It did hit a deer but had this issue before that. But I'll be sure to check it out anyway, I just moved to Houston from North Dakota and it wasn't a big issue there but in Houston it is

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I always find one or two bubbles in the sight glass reassuring, ie: lets me know something's in there. That's while the compressor is running. And then as the compressor shuts down, you typically see a swirl of bubbles.

Also, if you opt to add refrigerant, be really sure you have the right stuff, and don't use hoses or connectors that have been used with other systems.

Better yet, just get a Toyota Dealership to service it, and alert them to the issues. There's bound to be a very complex troubleshooting procedure, to narrow down what might be happening.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought a 67 Corvette small block many years ago and the owner couldn't figure out why the car would spike temp sitting at light but run fine on the highway. Had me stumped for a while and eventually found when he rebuilt the motor he bolted the fan blade in backwards. Blowing instead of sucking.

After I fixed that issue the engine ran fine temp wise but didn't really matter as I could only drive a few months in the winter down here as the cabin especially the floor would get so hot it was undriveable. No ac. You'd be soaked in about 10 minutes. Sucked. Last hot rod with no ac from then on.

Yours I think one fan is not working. Both rad fans should be on with ac on. Start the car and turn ac on high and see if both fans are sucking behind the radiator.

#8 edthefox5, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  9. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bubbles in an R134a system only provide clues to two things: There is *some* refrigerant in there and it's moving. It is totally normal for R134a systems to have ZERO bubbles in the sight glass, in point of fact, most systems do not even have one. With the old R12 systems, you could accurately charge based on the sight glass.

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Joe Chandler

Joe Chandler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well i tried charging it and that didn't work. Finally gave up and took it to a dealer, I guess it was involved in a wreck before I owned it and the fans were backwards, Ed and Patrick got it right, thanks guys

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And it brought back fine memories too...lol...