1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Operation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fchung76, Jun 13, 2006.

1. fchung76

fchung76 New Member

I know that the temperature setting controls the amount of air going through the heater core... I wonder once A/C is on, does the compressor keep running continuously? Or does it behaves like a home A/C where the compressor shuts itself off when the desired temperature is reached?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fchung76 @ Jun 13 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]270743[/snapback]</div>
    The electric powered compressor operates only when needed to cool or de-humidify according to your temp setting. Take a look at this site for more info than you will ever need on the operation of the climate control system.

http://www.denso.co.jp/AR-e/1998/TW/climate.html

3. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am confused by the key presses needed to get into manual control of the fan ('06 model).

For instance, if I turn off the A/C AUTO mode with the switch on the steering wheel, but then later decide I just want to turn the fan on, I have to go into the CLIMATE screen, select a fan speed--which turns on the A/C, but not the AUTO function--then I have to turn off the A/C switch so I just get the fan. Maybe I don't have to turn off the A/C switch, but it seems like it shouldn't go on unless I turn it on, and I always wonder if it is running something unnecessarily.

Is there an easier way to just turn the fan on without having to switch off the A/C, too? Should I just let the A/C on all the time (won't that use more energy)? Maybe I'm just not understanding what it means to have the A/C on without the AUTO mode. I guess I am still used to the "regular" way of controlling the A/C manually in conventional cars to stop the compressor from running when no cooling is required.

Can someone clarify this for me?

- Doug

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Hmmm, only one response.

I'm with DougSlug--that's what I do to be sure I'm getting non-conditioned air.

As for the OP, I've never heard (much less felt, as you would in a regular car) the compressor come on and shut off in the Prius, but I'm sure it must...

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a setting that a dealer can modify via his diagnostic tool which will stop the A/C button coming on automatically whenever you turn the climate control on. If this is changed, it will just stay however you left it.

And the compressor in the Prius is electric and variable speed. You won't feel anything much from it (no direct engine load), but you can hear it going, especially when it's at max speed, and the engine's off. More so from outside the car than inside though - open the window. It won't run when not necessary for cooling or dehumidifying.

6. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Jun 16 2006, 05:47 AM) [snapback]272117[/snapback]</div>
    I wish the A/C switch would toggle between "Auto" and "My Settings" instead of "Auto" and "Off"... Sometimes I just want low fan for circulation, so when I turn the A/C off I then have to go to the climate screen, select low fan, set to face/feet, turn A/C off. Every friggin' time!!!!! :huh:

7. j24816

j24816 New Member

Does anyone know how Toyota managed to mangle the design of the climate control so badly?