1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C or Defrost, how to disable the automatic switch to fresh air

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by SunWindow, Sep 8, 2008.

1. SunWindow

SunWindow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I want to disable the automatic switch away from air recirculation when I activate the A/C or Defrost.

I find myself resetting the recirculation button every time I activate either the A/C or the front defrost. I’d prefer to lock the recirculation option unless I manually request it rather than the car assuming I want fresh air. If any of you have been to S. Cal, the air on the freeways is far from fresh.

2. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    When you're defogging, you'll definitely want fresh air. Recirculated air adds the water vapor from the occupants of the car to the existing vapor and makes any inside fogging of the windows worse.

3. SunWindow

SunWindow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hear your recommendation about how fresh air helps with defogging, but I would like to decide when to activate it. Do you know of a fix?

BTW, you all from Tideland have been great help. Your explanation of how to turn off the beeps for reverse and the seat belt were easy and very helpful. Thanks.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is a custom setting for this, but the dealer (or someone with a Toyota handheld scan tool) would have to change it for you. The air inlet mode is set for "Auto" by default, but can be reset to "Manual"

Attached Files:

5. SunWindow

SunWindow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey Dog,
    Thanks for the direction. So I called Irvine CA Toyota dealer with your advice. Their management tells the service staff that they are not to re-program setting such as this one. He recommended calling around. BS if you ask me.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow, nice customer service they have.

If you can't find a dealer that will do it, I would next call Toyota Customer Service and ask them if they can refer you to a dealer that will change the setting for you. If nothing else, it will highlight that the dealership isn't concerned about accomodating customers.

7. SunWindow

SunWindow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Toyota Customer Service is working on it. They state that dealers service dept don't have to change that setting, but can and should. Toyota Customer Service is generating an internal inquiry and will push it to the dealers - he says. Hope so. Thanks again.

I will post the results as they happen.

8. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any more feedback on this? These functions drive me nuts and am looking at getting them set right as well.

Running the compressor de-fogs well but then must be run constantly, or it brutally re-fogs the window when shut off because of the moisture on the dash evap coil. My car also suffers badly from that nasty A/C smell, even after cleaning the evap coil with the Toyota foam cleaner kit. On top of that, I suffer from dry eyes after my laser eye surgery a few years ago, and running the compressor pushes out air that is super low humidity and drys out my eyes.