1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C overcharged

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by filiberti, Jun 23, 2007.

1. filiberti

filiberti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Took my 2007 in for first oil change at 6 months and I wanted A/C checked out cause compared to my old
    2004 I did not feel it was as Cold ? Turns out they told me the system was overcharged at the factory ? I guess if it was overcharged that would effect the cooling as well, I thought it would be colder . Now I wait for another heat wave in NY to check it out :)

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Overcharge will definitely reduce the effectiveness of AC.

3. justifyd

justifyd New Member

Indeed, that sounds correct.

As I understand it, the coolant expands into a gas as it absorbs heat. A compressor applies pressure to forcefully convert it back into liquid, causing the coolant to discharge its heat. Since the coolant system is a closed circuit, it logically follows that an increase in coolant (by volume) will in turn limit the expansion capabilities of that coolant (less remaining volume to expand into), reducing its ability to absorb heat from its surroundings.

Hopefully someone with more technical knowledge can verify or correct my statements.

- Justifyd