1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C related noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bulek, Jun 11, 2007.

1. bulek

bulek Junior Member

So I can hear strange noise when staying outside of the car. It is something like "bzzzzzzzzzz", I would say quite loud. I made some tests to restrict number of possible sources:

1. It only happens when A/C (the compressor) is on. When turned off then the sound disappears.
    2. The sound gets louder with increasing amount of cooling set in the car. Actually it is silent with with low cooling level and and then sound level increases with cooling settings.
    3. It is not related to fan speed levels.
    4. It happens ONLY in "Ready" mode. In "IGN-ON" it is completely silent even with maximum cooling configured.

My question is do you also hear such buzzing sound when A/C runs in medium to max mode? For me especially point 4 is very strange. What could cause such behaviour? I understand that in both modes A/C is battery operated so why the difference between two modes? I will go to my dealer of course but I'd like to be "prepared" for this visit.

- Piotr

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ours does that too, the other day DH came up the driveway in stealth mode but it wasn't very stealthy thanks to the a/c compressor. he usually runs the thing on max cold.

i'll have to ask DH about the ig-on vs ready mode.