1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C Sounds Different

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jk823, Sep 30, 2013.

1. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius with about 56K miles on it that I absolutely love. Now I know from reading in the forums an my own experience that when the A/C compressor starts running you hear an electric whirring sound. My question is... is it a cause for concern when the sound it makes seems different -- the pitch sounds lower to me now. The A/C still works fine, but I didn't know if this changing sound means the compressor was on the way out. (I HOPE NOT!)

Any thoughts?
    Thanks!!
    John

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it for sure the compressor you are hearing, or the blower motor that drives the airflow? Plenty of trouble with the blower motors becoming intermittent as the brushes wear or become stuck. Also, check the cabin air filter, which can get clogged.

3. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm fairly certainly it's the compressor because the sound only comes on when I turn on the AC and it stops when I turn the AC off. I haven't checked the cabin air filter, so I'll do that.

Maybe I could record some audio and post it here? Having had the car for almost 5 years I'm familiar with most of the normal sounds the car makes. The is just concerning since it has (for the first time, I think) started to sound a little different. If it's still working though, I wonder if it's worth bringing in...

Thanks!

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah so. I can say that I do not hear the compressor come on from inside the car, it is that quiet. So if there is significant noise, then it would be something to look into. Check the sight glass in the engine compartment and determine if the charge level is low.

5. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if I don't know where the sight glass is should that be reason enough to just take it in? ;)

I'd be happy to check it if I knew how. I'll google around and see what I can find.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sight glass is on the passenger side under the hood. It is directly in front of the windshield washer fluid bottle. It should be pretty obvious.

7. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

8. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a video I posted to YouTube of the noise. Forgive the video quality -- I was more focused on capturing the sound:

What do you think? Does it sound terrible enough that I should bring it in?

Thanks fro everyone's help!

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm. Sounds normal to me, or at least that is what mine sounds like.

10. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hm. I was just surprised by how loud it seemed. I just don't remember it sounding quite like that.

Thanks!

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    See what other's say. I have had my system worked on by Toyota techs in the past. I would think they would have said something if there was a problem. We all know the stealers love to take your money. I paid them to replace the coil in front of the radiator and recharge the system. All is good now. That was last summer. Worked great after that and fine all this year. It was brutal hot here in Houston this year. A/C is a must down here.

12. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool. Thanks. I'm interested in hearing what others say!

13. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'd say normal too. The electric compressor runs at different speeds depending on the load. I won't swear to this but I think mine makes more noise on a cool day (low speed).

14. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool. Maybe it just sounds louder because of the outside temperature? I'll keep an eye on it anyway. I appreciate the input!