1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C stop procedure to avoid smell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prnico, Sep 6, 2022.

1. prnico

prnico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I've just cleaned my A/C system by squirting some cleaning foam into the evaporator drain tube and another type of spray into the dash vents. It seems to have helped get rid of the unpleasant smell and I'm keen to keep it that way.

As I've seen recommended, after using the A/C, a few minutes before car shut off I turn off the A/C button and turn up the fan speed to max, to help dry the evaporator and ducts as much as possible and prevent stuff from growing in there.

During these few minutes, do you think I should:

1) keep it on air recirculate or switch to fresh air?

2) crank the temperature up a few degrees?

(maybe the answers depend on how hot and humid it happens to be outside)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my method:

shut off the a/c about a mile from home. leave the fan at the current setting, temp all the way down.

never had an issue, unless i forget

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Prius and Toyotas in general do pretty good with this we don't usually have much growing in ventilation systems unless they just completely unused like sitting in a junkyard. Generally if your car is driven any kind of way and systems are used like the air conditioner and the filters changed every season maybe it's cheap enough and quick enough since we have them my older cars didn't. I usually don't have much I have a little bit of smell on startup but that's just the process of removing moisture from the air I mean if it bothers you that much I guess later model Prii May offer remote start where you can start the thing up with the window slightly cracked and let all that blow out and waste gas and oil and all that to yeah sounds good. On the side note I service some rich people's homes that own Tesla's and they have these things sitting in their garagees all the time with the air conditioning cycling on and off while they're sleeping at night during the day the car's not moving I hear them when I come to work on their stuff the cars are just sitting there in the air conditioner cycling up and down it's hysterical. So much for energy efficiency