1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C terrible sounds

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Legogo, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Legogo

Legogo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone. After the winter got an issue, while driving when the air is blowing to windshield a loud A/C sound appears, especially while breaking the car (even with the A/C is off)
    While A/C is on same sound appears even at first level of blowing.
    Same time the radiator blower starts to operate
    Here is a video what is happening when the blower is on

Car is Prius C 2014

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't hear any sound that is terrible to me. I do hear the sound of the variable-speed A/C compressor running, and ramping gradually up to higher speeds. That is what it does, depending on the cooling load, and that is pretty much the sound it makes.

Now, @lech auto air conditionin has listened to a lot more of those than I have, and might be better able to tell by a slight difference in the sound if it is low on refrigerant and oil or sounds especially worn. But from the sound, I cannot tell that. It is not an obviously terrible sound to me. That is just more or less how the compressor sounds.

I was surprised not to hear more sound of the air circulating blower. Normally if the compressor is running at high power you would also have the air blowing hard. But maybe you had turned the blower down to get a better recording of the compressor sound?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    First thing I'd do is check the fan blower box for debris.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    THIS.
    Then, could it BE the radiator fan(s) ??

And......some or all models have an electric coolant pump which can run at different speeds depending on engine temp and they are a high failure item.......which might be noisy as it flies apart.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Am I the only person who's listened to the OP's video? The A/C compressor is what makes that sound in my car.

The part of the original post that says "even with the A/C is off" might call that into question, but the post also says "when the air is blowing to windshield", which I take to mean when the front defrost is selected, which activates the A/C anyway.

But yes, the Gen 3 (and c) engine water pump is another variable-speed motor that can make a similar sound. It's usually not as easy to hear as the A/C, except at the highest speeds.

#5 ChapmanF, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  6. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes: my exact same response. But if it sounds that loud inside the passenger compartment, and that is the outside compressor attached to the engine. That is the loudest one I ever did hear.

need to take your camera phone microphone out to the body case of the electric compressor in the engine compartment. Take video and post.

i was wondering if the microphone was enhancing frequency, spectrum and cutting out other frequencies, making the blower motor squirrel cage with a piece of paper or plastic touching the blades as the blower spins up ?. Just a thought we are only guessing from what we can hear sitting in the passenger compartment.

vary much need sound moving mic to different components. Fan. Water pump, compressor.

open remove cabin air filter listing