1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C turned on, idle seems rough -- Camry

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, May 3, 2017.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, Wifey drives the Prius.

I have a Camry. Just turned the A/C on today for the first time this spring. The car seems to idle rough with it on. With it off, no issue.

I guess I should say "rough" is a bit of a stretch. Maybe "somewhat rough."

In ancient times, we turned on the A/C periodically during the winter, to keep the seals lubed, etc. But, nowadays, as I understand it, the A/C often comes on during the defrost function, so freezing in Feb. is no longer needed.

Anyway, I digress....is this something that I need to proactively do something about, or wait and see if it smoothes out with more idle time....

In other words, any words of advice.?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius/Camry household here as well. Check your AC accessory belt for proper tension.

Major difference is that my AC on my Camry is used year round here. ;)

Your belt may have gotten a little stiff from infrequent use, so if the belt tension seems to be ok, it will probably smooth out after a while.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually, the serpentine belt probably runs all the time with the AC compressor on a clutch system. So if it doesn't smooth out after using the AC compressor for a while then I don't know. :)

Stevewoods likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The AC puts more load on the engine. Anything that does that will make a conventionally idling engine shudder a bit more. Shifting from Drive to Neutral for example, will make it smooth out some.

Could be most anything that's causing it to shudder more than usual. Or maybe 6 months without AC, you've forgotten?

It's the regular or hybrid Camry? How many miles on it? Is the valve gap clearance adjustable? Easily, what style of adjustment? (I'm thinking shims, which are maybe more trouble than it's worth.) How about spark plugs, are they due? Engine air filter?

Stevewoods and RCO like this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tis a five-speed manual gasoline only Camry from 2003. Has about 160k

New plugs about 18k ago. New air filter last summer, just checked it a month ago and it is fine. Yes, shim adjustment.

Other than randomly throwing an O2 sensor code anytime I fill-up with anything other Chevron gasoline, it has been essentially trouble-free.

I did have trouble with the idle after swapping out the original battery in 2014 (yep, that 12volt lasted 11 years). Had to clean the throttle body and the MAF to get it to idle correctly.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try cleaning the throttle body again. That always resolved simple idle issues

SM-N900P ?

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm with Mendel, it is likely just the normal adding of the compressor load to the engine that you just notice because idling is such a light load to begin with. The compressor load will be a larger increase on a 4 cylinder as well. Was the engine warmed up when this happened? If not, any roughness could be more noticeable while still cold, and will go away once warmed up. Has the serpentine belt ever been replaced? Perhaps it is slipping with the added load of the compressor.

The pulley/clutch failed on our 2001 Sable last year. Actually had to pull the belt off to drive the last 15 miles home. The seals on the bearing had failed, and rust had taken its toll. There are rubber grommets on the clutch bolts to absorb the shock of engaging. Only one of three was left. None of this resulted anything noticeable in the engine running.

Mendel Leisk likes this.