1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Car is Born! (1/19/2006)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jbarnhart, Jan 20, 2006.

1. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

My wait for a Prius must've been one of the longest on record. I first became enraptured by the Prius and its siren song when the 2004 was announced around September 2003. I studied the car, read every post on the Yahoo group, joined this group when it was formed (see my low number) and pestered sales critters at several dealers.

I put my name on not one, but TWO waiting lists, which was fashionable at the time. Still, 12 weeks later neither sales critter could tell me IF my Prius would arrive letalone WHEN. I became discouraged and despondent. It appeared my Prius would never come and in a blind rage I took myself off of both lists and bought my boss' $80,000 Audi A8 luxury car (for about the price of a Prius, BTW).

The Audi is a magnificient piece of engineering. But it isn't a Prius. I kept hearing the siren song in my head, even as I tried to concentrate on the luxury and comforts of my A8. It wasn't easy when my around-town FE was about 12-15 mpg. (Although my road trips averaged a respectable 27-28 mpg.)

In September <s>2006</s> 2005 I couldn't bear it anymore. The Feds had decided to stuff $3100 or so into the pockets of people who were already so committed to buy a car that they'd wait in line for the privilege. And the state wanted to let me drive solo in the HOV lane to drive purchases into an even greater frenzy. I think both programs are somewhat ill advised as public policy, since hybrids are doing quite well without the incentives. But if my government wants to encourage me to buy the car I already want, I'm compelled to do my patriotic duty!

I put myself on a list at the dealer I liked from my previous experience, Toyota 101 in Redwood City, CA (ask for Bob Romeo). They are very low-key and focused solely on customer satisfaction, since they don't get commission but rather bonuses based on how well their customers say they liked the experience. The price was straight MSRP with none of the extra drama thrown in at the end (e.g. bumper appliques, Toyogard, etc.). Even the warranty was offered, not "sold" to me. I figured I had a good shot at January delivery by placing myself on the list in September.

And sure enough, I got the call today. Bob came in on his day off to finish the sale and get me into my new Super White package 8 Prius. What a thing of beauty! It appeals to every aspect of me -- I love the way it looks and I adore the careful thought and engineering that went into the product.

So today I picked up my Prius, two years and four months after first placing myself in the queue!

As a funny aside, after I got the call about my new Prius, I went to the garage to drive my A8 to work. For the first time since I've owned it, it refused to start! The battery just wouldn't turn over the engine. I suspect the Audi has a sense of impending change and is refusing to give up its warm spot in the one-car garage!

2. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Did you go to the future? :eek:

LOL Gotta finish reading your new Prius story but couldn't help but comment about your date ;)

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!! And how Patriotic of you! ;)

So what you gonna do with your A8? Hopefully you can sell it for $50,000 grande?

This is a good story to show buying the Prius is not JUST about trying to save on gas. Saving gas is just an added bonus of the car!

I see from the For sale section you already bought a mod for your car! B)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe

AiBO! do you actually have one?

Hmm, maybe the Audi was ticked off and is snubby about your new toy and is being stubborn.

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Well, well, wondered when you were going to post.

Congratulations!

(Think most other folks are in bed.)

6. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

No... I have SIX. My own pack. (But I'm not crazy... my friend has a herd of 56.)

Oops.... back to the original topic, my CAR!

7. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Ha -- I wish! It's "private party resale" value is something like $16K. For that price I might keep it as my "beater". The power and acceleration of that thing is nothing short of amazing. I astonish myself that I'm so attracted to both of these cars, which couldn't be more opposite. More likely I'll sell it to a friend or coworker (for a very good deal) who would appreciate the car as much as I have. We have a tradition of trading cars for good prices where I work. It's sort of a "trickle down" effect.

The boss' current car is a Mercedes SL500 convertible. He'll be driving it for the next 2-3 years but the line for it is already forming...

8. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I wanna stand in that line for that convertible!!! B) (What color is it?)

My daughters aunt has a nice looking yellow Monte Carlo. I love the color on that car and I usually don't like yellow cars. The yellow is sharp on that style though. ONLY bad thing about it now though is she hit a deer with it and the dealership did a shitty job fixing it. Let's just say she's POED about it and the dealership is going to hear about it.

9. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

When I was in high school, I wanted to buy a diesel pickup.

I looked, waited and pondered that one for 9 years before finally slapping down the $36,000 in Aug 1999.

Since then, it's been a wonderful rig, 108000 miles and if diesel were anywhere near 1.25/gallon, I'd be heading to 250,000 with it.

$450 to 600 a month for diesel just to get to work is too much now. I also ordered Prius in Sept. Hopefully by end of Feb.

10. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

When reading your post, "Anticipation" by Carly Simon kept going through my mind!

And then I pictured ketchup coming out of the bottle in slow motion......

11. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

LOL! :lol: I'm old enough to remember that commercial. Yep, that's pretty much my story w/respect to the Prius!

12. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, that is quite a wait! Whatever did you do with yourself during all that time? :) I would've gone mad most likely. At least you got to drive another car during the meantime, I would have been stuck with the same ole Saturn I've had for 9+ years, just waiting it out and hoping it lasted that long. ;)