1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Centurion's E-mails

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Worth reading if you have a moment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15458906/site/newsweek

His job there was one of the toughest in Iraq: making raw Iraqi recruits ready and able to take over the fight against the militants. Secher found the task exasperating and often discouraging; in e-mails and letters home, he expressed doubt that the Iraqi military would ever be ready for a handover, and criticized the way the Bush administration had directed the war. "Without the U.S., this army will fail and get eaten alive by the insurgents," he told his father in an e-mail this past April.

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

This link is an interesting read. It was written by a soldier who wanted more than anything else to serve his country. He was a born soldier and staunch Republican. All I can say is if the man who wrote the following excerpts considered himself a Republican and basked in his chosen field as soldier, can write/feel/verify the following, then we as US citizens are being sold a bill of goods, and passively accepting the lies coming out of the white house as truth is a mark against us collectively. This is posted in memory of Robert Secher, a dedicated Centurion, may he rest in peace with the knowledge he contributed his best and made the ultimate sacrifice. He is but one of our best and brightest sent to slaughter, by leaders with absolutely no military experience, and who openly deride those who have that experience. Had he lived, he would have been an asset to our country. What follows are excerpts from the link posted above.

…in e-mails and letters home, [Robert] expressed doubt that the Iraqi military would ever be ready for a handover, and criticized the way the Bush administration had directed the war. "Without the U.S., this army will fail and get eaten alive by the insurgents,"

My 3 month informed opinion (based entirely on what I see in the Hit region) is that this war is futile. Even the Iraqi soldiers tell us that when America leaves, they'll quit. They trust us because they know Americans can take care of them, but they don't trust their government, or the Ministry of Defense, and they especially don't trust their officers
    Of course you've heard about two different sets of Marines being charged with murder. [...] I feel bad for those guys. Bush should be ashamed of the predicament that this nation has been put in. This is what war does to normal young men. This is the whole tragedy of war. People are so quick to only criticize the Marines and to demonize these young men. I pity them. Their lives are ruined, ruined by their actions which are judged by men who have never been in those situations.
    The biggest lesson I have learned over 6 months here is that the Iraqi culture is incapable of maintaining a western style military.

Many of our [Iraqi] soldiers went AWOL; new food supplies came in yesterday from Ramadi but were grossly insufficient; new soldiers arrived but their initial military training is substandard and you can tell they are really just here for a paycheck [...]

The war in Iraq itself, yeah, it was the right thing to do, but the way it was carried out, man, Bush, Rumsfeld, and Cheney have nothing to be proud of.

Captain Secher died two days later, shot by a sniper while on patrol

It’s me MarinJohn again…Captain Secher and many of his comrades deserve our undying gratitude for their service to their country. It affects me deeply that in my opinion they are just pawns in a political game, dispensable to their superiors who MUST be brought to justice for wantonly wasting young lives.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Oct 31 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]341317[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, it's a felony to threaten the President....

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 31 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]341320[/snapback]</div>
    Saying someone should be brought to justice isn't a threat - otherwise everyone who supported the impeachment of Clinton should be going to jail...

Saying that you will be the instrument of that justice, OTOH, is what i believe you're getting at.

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 31 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]341325[/snapback]</div>
    marin-jon-mouth is a foaming at the mouth radical anti-Bush leftist capable of anything.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 31 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]341320[/snapback]</div>
    I interpret the word "justice" to mean 'held accountable' and not 'physically harmed' as you seem to have. Case in point, Saddam is being brought to justice for his crimes. When Clinton was impeached, that was justice. On the other hand, when someone is physically harmed for something they did, that is called vengence. We should ensure that we do not confuse vengence for justice.

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 31 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]341332[/snapback]</div>
    crazy people can't differentiate the two....

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Oct 31 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]341317[/snapback]</div>
    Not too likely to happen, sadly, it didn't happen after Vietnam, and it won't happen after Iraq.