1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Christmas Message

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I wish to provide a message. This message is aimed to those who may or may not consider themselves Christian but celebrate Christmas as the ceremonial birthdate of Christ.

First part of the message, don't bother going any further unless you believe there is ONE true God, the God JEHOVAH.

Do you believe this God made all things, is all powerful and all present? It makes no difference if you think he made things over millions of years or 7 days or 6000 yrs ago. Do you believe God created all? If not, then find another thread.

Do you believe that God spoke to various people in times past and that He insured his Word would be preserved throughout eternity, and if so, do you think the holy scriptures are that preserved word? The translated scriptures being what is commonly called the Bible? If not, move along.

Do you believe that the Bible is inspired by God and is the true Word of God? Do you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God? Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross, was buried in a tomb, and rose again on the 3rd day?

If you have reached this point and believe all this, then you are truly blessed. For God said, in John 3:16, that God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not die, but have everlasting life. He did not come to this world to condemn it, but rather that, through him, all could be saved.

The Bible says in many locations that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by him. Belief that he came to the world to die on the cross and wash away your sins, that he was the son of God, that he died and rose back to life on the 3rd day.....truly having faith that that is so is all that is needed to accept the free gift of grace from God.

Anyone who responds challenging the part under the ***** ought not to bother, as you obviouly cannot read and kept going after rejecting the items above the *****

It would seem like it is such a simple thing, but so many people make it all the way to that last part and cannot make the leap. Think hard, look deep within. Once you have reached the point where you believe in God, in Jesus, and in what he did on Calvary's hill, PRIDE is the only thing left holding you back. Will you let your pride stop you from having the best time of your life? The absolute inclusivity of this creates its own exclusivity. ALL are welcome to this gift, but only a few will ever accept it. God cannot and will not force it upon you. This is truly where free will has its perfect meaning.

I celebrate today the birth of Christ. Not because his birth was so special, but because it set into motion the chain of events which led to God reconciling himself to the men of earth and providing a way to be with him once again, for eternity, through the shedding of blood by Jesus, which has created in me, a new person.

Merry Christmas

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ain't free speech wonderful? You can post whatever you like, but you can't bar anyone else from responding, just because they answer No to a bunch of questions.

First off, Happy Christmas! I wish you all the best on your special day and hope you enjoy it in good health with your family and loved ones.

Next, if "he came to the world to die on the cross," then how come Judas is reviled as a bad guy? Judas is only a bad guy if Jesus was not supposed to die, and he messed things up by fingering him. But if Jesus was supposed to die, then Judas is even more important to Christianity than Paul.

I think there are some Christians who believe that Judas made the ultimate sacrifice for Jesus: that Jesus asked Judas to turn him in so that he could fulfill his destiny, that Judas did not want to, knowing that he would be reviled for it, but that Jesus insisted, and finally, for love of Jesus, Judas relented and agreed. According to this theology, Judas sits at the right hand of Jesus in heaven, as his best beloved disciple.

3. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 24 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]366430[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto on the first part Daniel. I too claim to be a Christian, but a rather pragmatic, enlightened, and accepting one from my point of view. . So while I celebrate the birth of Christ this evening I know that this is not his true birth date (mid-summer, July I think), and that the formation of Christmas and attachment of Christ's birth to December 25 by the church was to curtail pagan rituals. Thus, I also celebrate, thanks to my Finnish and German heritage, winter solstice, the birth of Mithras, and the celebration of the evergreen (with a decorated evergreen) as a reminder that more light and green trees would be forthcoming as winter begins to wane .

Happy Holidays and Winter Solstice to all!

Make sure you have some pickled herring ready for New Year's! My grandmother said you must eat some New Year's Eve for good luck in the next year.

4. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Merry Christmas, Schmika!

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Merry Christmas, Schmika.

I'm so glad you brought up Pride.

I happen to think there is no sin in having a little, honest Pride. In fact, I think more people should display a little pride and teach their children to have some pride as well. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in a job well done. Being proud of an honest day's work or accomplishing a task is a good thing. I think too many people belittle their efforts or dismiss their accomplishments because they are afraid that showing a little pride is "sinful". (And too many children don't know how to *do* anything positive or creative. They don't knit, sew or build anything.)

Now, I do think there are certain acts for which pride is a sin. I think taggers that take pride in spray painting their tags on peoples property are sinful, both for the pride and for the destructive act.

I think the only destructive act you should take pride in is in the demolition you do prior to a remodeling job. Other than that, taking pride in negatives is a sin. Taking pride in a positive should be a virtue.

So let's teach our children to take pride in the positive things they do and model that behavior ourselves.

Now let's hear a big "I DID THIS!"

Some of my handiwork.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Godiva: That's some beautiful work. I think I'd want one of those cushions on the His and Hers chairs, though.

7. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 25 2006, 12:50 AM) [snapback]366430[/snapback]</div>
    Judas is not much of a subject in my church...and you know what, other than the term "being a Judas" means being a traitor, no one goes around constantly reviling Judas. Judas was part of the plan, thank God for Judas.

Uh, that theology is not a Christian theology. The Bible says Satan entered Judas.

Did you know you are an expert at "sounding" friendly but being constantly cutting and attacking. What was the point of this reply? Think about it. Someone in a past thread commented that you seem to be a bitter, hateful person. Now, I know you do not see yourself that way. You are more like the cliche of the "grumpy old man". Have you ever considered being positive just for positive sake. Life IS good. For you, every day above ground SHOULD be a good day. Things could be worse, you could be DEAD.

This isn't much of a concern if you have an attitude that this is NOT all there is and there will be something better in the future. Do you hope that your best day, or month, or even year is still ahead of you? If not, why go on?

(I am ONLY talking to Daniel here, if you are depressed and read this and have any ideas of NOT going on, please reconsider, send me a PM, go visit a church...something)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Dec 26 2006, 06:14 AM) [snapback]366642[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, pride in a job well done is good, the Pride I was speaking of is the pride that you (man) are the ultimate power. That you (man) are the one who can do anything w/o God's help. IOW, if I do a great job, I am thankful to God for giving me the blessings and skills to accomplish it. I do it FOR God, so that, through my works, others can see God. The Pride that says I will NOT acknowledge that w/o God I can get into heaven. Obviously, this is of NO consequence to those who do not believe in God.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 25 2006, 11:56 PM) [snapback]366591[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, you made my day.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 26 2006, 07:56 AM) [snapback]366691[/snapback]</div>
    I have a tendency to express my views openly, and to present logical reasons for them. This has never made me terribly popular, though people who agree with my views perceive me in a very different light than those who disagree with them.

But as I mentioned in another thread, and has been pointed out more than once, the absence of tone of voice and facial expression on an on-line chat board leads to much misunderstanding. I do get very angry at social injustice. I should probably take your advice and be more laid back and unconcerned when my country kills innocent people in the name of national security or oil or whatever, or when religious conservatives pass laws saying that friends of mine cannot marry each other merely because they are the same gender. But I get carried away.

Sufferin' Prius Envy often accuses me of being very angry. In fact, I am seldom angry. Only when topics of social justice or war come up. On the other hand, SPE seems very angry to me. Seems to me he rants more than I do.

In real life, I am quick to anger (in the face of social injustice) and quick to calm down, and I seldom post when angry. I am aware that people who cannot tolerate my opinions view me otherwise.

My first post in this thread was, first, to wish you a happy Christmas; second, to point out that you cannot bar anyone from posting in any thread; and, third, to ask about your comment that Jesus came to earth "to die on the cross." Turning Judas's name into a synonym for "traitor" seems inconsistent with the common Christian belief that Jesus's purpose in life was to be crucified.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 26 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]366682[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. They're actually not that bad to sit in just as they are. But I want some cushions just for the look. I have some lovely gold and black silk brocade to make them with. I'm going to put a regular cushion on the bottom with a small round bolster (with tassels) on each side. I think that will look entirely decadent. That's the look I'm going for. Since I sew and do other handy things I can afford to "look" decadent without the cost.

I'll certainly update the pics when I get the cushions done. But don't hold your breath. It will have to wait until I finish my (second) masters degree.