1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A clean mass airflow sensor seems to help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mfa-prius, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Over the last couple of years my mileage has been gradually decaying a couple of mpg, and the transition to/from ICE has been getting ragged. My dealer said the only thing they check for mileage concerns was the tire pressure, and suggested ethanol was to blame.

Somewhere along the line I read that a dirty mass airflow sensor could cause both problems, so at yesterday's 65K oil change I also cleaned the MAF sensor. Preliminary indications are that this did the trick. MFD mileage is consistently and significantly better, and the rough ICE transition has disappeared. I'm not going to get too excited until after a couple of tanks of gas, but for now I'm cautiously optimistic.

Cleaning only took a few minutes -- I removed the sensor and carefully scrubbed it with a soft toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. It was obviously dirty, but not really grungy. No error codes on the computer that would normally indicate a MAF sensor problem.

offib, KK6PD, Toolman2009 and 3 others like this.
  2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Rinse the toothbrush before bedtime!

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Each time I check and clean the air filter I give the MAF sensor a hit with my spray cleaner. It takes about one second and is not necessary to remove it. There is a special spray cleaner for it and it's a worthwhile purchase. My mileage is consistently 50 mpg+

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

What is the spray cleaner and where did you get it?

5. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    ...or use a high-proof adult beverage, maybe?

Shahzad likes this.
  6. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Apparently there's an official Toyota cleaner, but there's also a CRC and maybe other brands, available at most auto supply stores. I saw isopropyl alcohol recommended on the Web, and had some handy, so used it. I'll probably check out the MSDS for one of the commercial products, and see if I've already got the active ingredient(s) on hand, to avoid paying what is undoubtedly a huge markup for a common solvent.

Also, removing the MAF sensor gives easier access to the throttle body and throttle plate, if you want to clean them at the same time (although there is, of course, yet another spray cleaner for that). You can probably tell I'm not a big fan of spray thingies.

1 person likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One diff between a MAF cleaner and a throttle body cleaner is that the former is supposed to clean without leaving any residue. The latter leaves a lubricating film. You definitely do not want to use throttle body cleaner on the MAF.

mfa, how often do you change the engine air filter?

tangerino, ydpplqbd and paprius4030 like this.
  8. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting you should ask. My dealer replaced the engine air filter 2 times in 50K miles, as I religiously took it in every 5K miles. My maintenance guide, however, says 30K, 60K, etc. So I replaced it at 60K, and plan to watch it and replace every 30K miles unless it's really ugly. Seldom is there any sign of real grunge, in our clean Florida air. I've been tempted to vacuum it or blow it out with shop air at oil changes (10K, using synthetic), but that's generally discouraged, at least with aviation air filters.

I'm also suspicious that the crud on the MAF sensor was put there by the same dealer when he cleaned the throttle body, since the mileage started to degrade at roughly the last time I had it serviced there.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Our Subaru was misbehaving for a couple of years: Full throttle would cause it to die, and even moderately taxing the engine with AC would lead to engine hiccoughs. The dealership thought it was a bad engine cylinder based on the codes they pulled, and recommended waiting for outright failure before embarking upon repair, since it was not clear what the problem was.

Eventually the engine light prevented air pollution clearance, the MAF was replaced, and now all the problems we have had for years are gone.

Just one more anecdote that the MAF can cause performance degradation way before a code is thrown that says "clean or replace MAF"

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The spray is CRC MAF Sensor cleaner, any auto store should carry it. The outside of the can promises a 4-10 HP gain to the wheels! (if you believe that) But the MAF sensor IS critical and should be cleaned regularly. If you do a search, PC discusses this in detail. PC= Priuschat

offib and paprius4030 like this.
  11. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Critical?LOL its pointless I bypass it and i tell what the computer needs to know..

12. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That must keep you busy...

13. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow. that's great news. can you guys tell me the procedure of cleaning it? Do you clean both the MAS and throttle body? How is it done?

thanks in advance.

14. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would NOT recommend "scrubbing" the MAF hot wires, they are very fragile and easy to damage. Using the CRC MAF cleaner, a 2-3 second burst from the can will leave the hot wires spotless

For whatever reason, my FJ tends to leave heavy deposits on the MAF, and this is noticeable in lost fuel economy, lost performance, and the automatic begins to shift a bit erratically.

So I get into the habit of cleaning the MAF every 3 months. Takes all of 3 minutes, and at this rate the CRC can should last me for years

16. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I probably shouldn't have said "scrub". I use a very soft toothbrush and almost no pressure. I also have a great dislike for aerosol sprays, so avoid them when there are alternatives.

17. priusevo

priusevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is exactly what I just did.I agree no need for removal.

18. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be curious to try this. I've also been noticing a gradual drop in MPG on my '04. I'm fairly certain the battery isn't helping. I've noticed the lights will dim and windows get slow when I turn the car off.

But definitely a helpful post. Thanks. ;p

19. PoutyPrius

PoutyPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I clean the MAF sensor and TBI myself, and my advice to you is make sure you hold on to the straw if you put the straw in the nozzle of the spray can when applying the throttle body cleaner to the plate. It saves a lot of money to do it yourself. But it saves a lot of time not having to fish the straw out of the air intake. I check the MAF sensor when I recharge the air filter and change the oil because it takes so little time. Just habit now. Good luck!

20. eric29730

eric29730 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Where is the MAF sensor located?