1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Constitutional Travesty

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Jun 30, 2006.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It took the woman's suffrage movement to grant women the right to vote.
    It took the civil war and the civil rights movement to grant blacks the right to vote.
    It took a grass roots rebellion of youth to grant 18 years olds the right to vote.
    It's high time we stop senseless discrimination against corporations, and finally grant them too the right to vote!

They already enjoy the protections of free speech. Nor would any prosecutor dare detain a corporation absent a writ of habeus corpus, or deny a corporation access to counsel. No corporation need fear government confiscation of its property without due process. In short, corporations have every right that individuals have, except the right to vote. In fact, the rights of corporations are more fiercely defended and protected than are the rights of individuals; that they are denied the right to vote stands as a national travesty.

We need to get out there and advocate for our fellow corporations, whose voice goes unheard at the ballot box, yet who are just as subject to every law of the land as are individuals, even the laws they wrote themselves! Travesty, hell, it's outright irony!

Of course, there are some who think corporations having the same rights as individuals is itself a constitutional aberration, a defect, a risk to free society, but such people are deaf to what corporations have to say, they don't pay attention to corporate messages, they are, frankly, out of touch.

So let's get with it gang! Bang the drum for Texaco, General Motors, Halliburton and all the other dispossessed, underprivileged, helpless corporations and take that last step, and grant them the right to vote!!

It's either that, or take them in another direction altogether.

Whaddaya say?

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They don't need to vote. They already run the country.

3. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 30 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]279405[/snapback]</div>
    I cannot follow the logic on the first post. :blink:

But, Daniel, is that a picture of an Abby?

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

So if they get to vote does each business get one vote? Or more votes for bigger corporations? What about small businesses? Corporations with partially owned subsidiaries? Just voting for corporations? What about partnerships? Trusts?

Maybe people with a home business would get 2 votes, one for themselves and one for the business?
    Then big corporations would get to vote a block of votes based on how many employees they had?

And then who in the corporation or business gets to decide what to vote? The board of directors? The president?

If a corporations was in bankruptcy or convicted of violating securities laws do they still get to vote?

Do the Saudi or other foreign oil companies, or other foreign corporations get to vote too because they do business here?

Which corporation deserves more votes: Toyota because it employes people here but is foreign owned, or GM which is US owned, but soon to build everything in other countries say?

But since corporations are so much bigger than everybody else, don't they deserve their own representatives in congress? Maybe we need to have 50% of the senators elected by corporations and the states only get 1.

But what about the poor politicians? Won't they go broke? Corpoations could run things without bothering to buy them any more?

To keep everything fair, should 3 year olds get to vote, or should corporations have to be around for 18 years before they can vote? Are voting rights inherited when corporations merge?

Maybe poeple wouldn't need to bother voting at all? We could just buy shares in our favorite corporate team and vote for the company president or directors, or whoever does the voting for us.

Then the President of the country could just be selected each year from the retiring corporate president who was most successful, so we'd always have the best president the free market could provide, and we'd never make a mistake.

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jun 30 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]279437[/snapback]</div>
    The original post was satire.

Your guess is as good as mine on the cat in my avatar. The cat belongs to a friend in Spain. Since my friend does not buy cats, it is definitely not a pure breed. It would have been either a found cat or a shelter cat. He may have some Abyssinian in him, or it may be an artifact of the wide-angle photo. I use him as my avatar because, other than the apparent exaggerated size of the ears, he almost exactly resembles my cat, who died 16 years ago, and who I still miss. The cat in the photo is named Aja. Note that the J in Spanish has a very different pronounciation than it has in English. The sound does not existin English, but is sort of a hard H. I was the first person on Prius Chat to have a cat avatar, and I received a virtual award for it.

[attachmentid=3982]

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 1 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]279677[/snapback]</div>
    I think the ears are fine. Small even.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 1 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]279677[/snapback]</div>
    If you think about it "Aja" sounds a little like coughing up a hairball. Kinda appropriate for a cat.

I always liked Dennis' name for his dog: Ruff.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 1 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]279744[/snapback]</div>
    I never thought of that, but it may very well be why Santiago (my friend) named him that.