1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A couple of newbie questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acousticbiker, Jan 24, 2006.

1. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Minor question: To those who have tried to remove the sticker under the "P" button: does it leave an adhesive residue or will it come off cleanly? I only ask because I've tried to loosen it a bit and it seems pretty well stuck on there.

The recommended sequence seems to shut off the car seems to be: press "P", then the power button. Is it OK/safe to just turn the power button off after coming to a complete stop and save a button press?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't remember what removing the sticker was like, but i have no residue on my dash anymore.

the car will automatically go into park if you stop and hit the power button.

3. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine came off easily with no residue, just yesterday. I'd worry about using products like "goo-be-gone" and other kerosene like prroducts, as you never know how they'll react with plastics. I use a product for stuff like that by Finish Line called "EcoTech", and I'd feel confident using it to remove adhesives on my dash without a test spot. I've used EcoTech on electric guitars and on laptop keyboards before with no ill effects on finish or on silkscreened print. However, I *urge* you to do a test spot on something far less conspicous first, no matter what you use. Perhaps just in front of the left-right mirror selector swith on the drivers' door?

Ah... one of my favourite subjects over the past day (mine is not yet 2 days old... ), starting and stopping the Prius

I've been using the "Power" button and bypassing Park altogether, based on what I had read hear. When you hit "Power" before hitting "Park", you can see the "Park" button briefly illuminate before all the lights go out.

Another tip - if you leave the lights on, "Power"ing off also shuts them down - so you can basically leave your lights on all the time (safer driving in daylight too) and have yet another button fewer to switch when taking off or disembarking. Note that if you turn them off and on again *after* a quick power off, you can still have lights on in power off mode, and can still drain your battery too...

One thing I'm really pleased about is how quickly the car boots up - I was really expecting to have to wait 2 or 3 seconds, but it's more like 1/8 to 1/4 of a second by my guess. Shutdown is just about as quick :)

Hope this helps!

Dave

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think my dealer removed my [P] sticker. I don't remember having one.

Dave makes me smile. :)
    I think I've toyed with every single possible combination of shutdown combinations. In the end, I keep coming back to putting it into park first then shutting down.

In reality, though, there is no true reason to put the car in park before shutting down. However, if you plan to get out of the car without shutting down (for example to move your son's skateboard from the driveway) then put it in park before getting out. :)

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok so it's not going to hurt the car to just shut off with the Power off button instead of pushing Park and then Power off? I have been pushing park and then powering off but if it's not needed I might as well save myself a step!

Thanks, Tracy