1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A couple of newbie questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TheBlueWedge, Mar 2, 2011.

1. TheBlueWedge

TheBlueWedge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all. I've looked around quite a bit for answers to these questions but I haven't found anything yet -- that said, apologies if these are repeats. Just for reference, I have a 2010 Prius II with 100 miles on it.

First, people talk about a "breaking in" period for the Prius, and say that the MPG will be better after a few thousand miles. I've heard advice to just "drive regularly" and the car will adapt to my driving style. Is this true? I've been driving primarily in ECO mode, and I definitely find myself trying to keep that MPG meter as high as possible, but would it be better for me to not bother and just drive normally?

Second, whenever I shut off the MFD, I find that it comes back on every time I stop and then restart the engine. Is there a way to keep this from happening?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your Prius doesn't need any special break-in procedures in terms of speed, miles, handling or option use. I only use ECO mode, but it really doesn't matter which mode you select. For consistently good MPGs, just drive easy, with slow, smooth accelerations. The owner's manual talks about easy accelerating and coasting to red lights whenever traffic allows. Doing this stuff has nothing to do with breaking in the Prius, but has everything to do with achieving good MPGs.

As far as the MFD, I've never paid attention to whether or not I can turn it off. I do know that it has a user-accessible menu for selecting certain default display options. Again, check your owner's manual for detailed instructions on accessing the display menu. I prefer to have full access to the MFD as I use it to gauge my driving smoothness.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 2 owner's manual advised gentle starts and braking during the first 600 miles for mechanical break-in and long engine life, but that was more-or-less independent of any MPG considerations. Is there no such advice in the Gen III manual?

4. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're just starting out with the car and want good MPGs, you may like pakitt's post here. It's called Tips & tricks for the “normal†driver to achieve satisfying fuel efficiency on the Prius Gen 3.

You can do all that pulse and glide and warp stealth and other fun stuff, but I think they main key part of all that is knowing when you can take your foot off the gas (thus reducing fuel consumption to zero) and allowing the car to roll without using any fuel. Just doing that when approaching stops can yield surprisingly good results.

5. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Drive it like you stole it! J/K Observe recommendations in owners manual, don't drive to fast or at a contestant speed for a long time or accelerate rapidly avoid braking hard. I don't think there is a break in period as far as achieving high MPG's. I got my highest Cons. indication on my first tank of fuel 57.7 MPG it came out to my second highest actual 54.12 MPG. Highest actual MPG 55.18 MPG, Cons. for that tank was 57.2 MPG. I have about 3500 miles on the car so far and have filled up 8 times now MPG's have stayed right around the mid 50's. I think your route and environmental conditions play a greater roll in the MPG's that the newness of your auto.

6. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I decided to heed caution and mostly limit speeds to 65 mph during break-in up to 800 miles. This means driving in the slow lane.

7. TheBlueWedge

TheBlueWedge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you all for the great replies. I have never driven like a maniac, and I do always try to keep my foot off the gas when it doesn't need to be there, so I suppose I'll just do more of the same. I find with ECO mode that I tend to "overcompensate" so lately I've been keeping it in normal mode -- what I plan on doing on the next fill-up is keep it in ECO mode for the duration of the tank, then switch to normal mode for the next tank, and see what happens.

That said my commute is short (+- 5 miles, lots of hills) so I don't expect to see 50 MPGs right off the bat (since I also live in cold Vermont, and have snow tires on the beast right now). Even so it's not going to be any worse than my old car (18/22 MPG) so I'm happy. ;)

Thanks again!

8. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh. Then my tip about rolling with zero fuel consumption probably won't be all that useful. It's generally only useful when the car has warmed up.