1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A: Crash and burn

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Jun 22, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=w070618&s=schaffer062107
    Welcome to the age of the whiny conservative.
    Sore Losers
    by Michael Currie Schaffer

Not yet six months old, 2007 has already been a fantastic year for conservative belly-aching. Whether they're defending a dishonest attorney general or a hypocritical World Bank chief, begging for time in Iraq or pleading for leniency on behalf of Scooter Libby, griping about how irreverent Americans provoke terrorists or siccing the Justice Department's once-proud Civil Rights Division on those brutes who would dare discriminate against our population of religious zealots, the remaining true believers of the right have spent the year in one long, plaintive wail about the unfairness of it all. Though the specific complaints may vary, the refrain in this chorus of kvetching is the same: It's always someone else's fault. Boo hoo.

Given last year's election results, the griping should come as little surprise: It's the province of folks with few other options, especially when politics remains dominated by the still-unfolding disasters they created. Still, it's worth wondering whether the explosion of self-pity doesn't herald some larger change in the popular political imagination, where liberals were always the ones cueing up the tiny violins. Have conservatives finally closed the whining gap?

Having lost before a jury of his peers, Libby summoned a cross-section of Washington's elite to attest to his decency. To be sure, such letter-writing campaigns are common for federal convicts, the lowest of whom can always manage to find a few neighbors and friends who can describe them as charitable family men. More telling, in Libby's case, was the shrill breast-beating of his neocon chums from the Bush administration

"His career and reputation are in ruins," Wolfowitz wrote, apparently unaware that such consequences tend to be the case when you, um, get busted for breaking federal law.

Wolfowitz, of course, should know a thing or two about mooning over ruined reputations and damaged careers. His own fall from grace just a couple months earlier featured the same set-pieces of whiny conservative consequence-dodging: The implication that nitpicky rules shouldn't apply to someone engaged in the noble pursuit of global strategery;

But if personal, public breast-beating is especially colorful, it's institutional griping that best reflects the whiny image of the contemporary right--and the danger for conservatives of becoming known as this can-do nation's top kvetchers.

As foes of Bush's bill rose into a chorus of high dudgeon over the White House's switchblade style, at least a few chatterers on the left sat back to enjoy the irony: "I have to say, it gives me a great perverse delight to hear conservatives talking about, 'We're victims. We're victims. We've been treated badly by our leaders,'" said Mark Shields on PBS's "NewsHour." "I mean, I'm sorry, Peggy. I'm sorry Laura, you poor, conservative folks who've been so mistreated by George W. Bush. Those Western men, they're just mean."

2. wbuttler

wbuttler New Member

"Welcome to the age of the whiny conservative.
    Sore Losers"

with a 29% approval rating, not a plan or conscious thought available on a single issue...
    promoting Rice the National Security Advisor after 9/11---and flying the house of Saud friends out of the country--to prevent problems for them-----The Iraq war lie--4,000 dead--mission accomplished---vetoing stem cell research---a vice president who claims that his office is not part of the executive branch in attempting to deny a subpoena for documents----the Horse guy in charge of Katrina----Gitmo (remember when it was the bad guys held people in camps without legalities)-----What a coincidence--my brother's the governor of the state that wins me an election by a recount of a few hundred votes---nothing to see here---move along---
    giving unwanted back rubs to the German Chancellor---taking more vacation time at the ranch
    than 350 standard American worker's vacations combined---denial of global warming for 6 years---Haliburton moving it's corporate headquarters to Dubai, without a doubt to escape future prosecution for war
    contract Fraud and Abuse------skyrocketing corporate profits but worker salaries nearly unchanged
    for 8 years---- TSA preventing terrorism by attacking explosive hand cream----
    they are all outa here one way or another and they know it.
    The only good thing that happened in 8 years of their government
    was Cheny shooting a campaign contributor ( that minor imp or demon) in the face. Who immediately
    apologized for putting his face in the way of the VP's shot---what a lackey

May they all wind up like Scotter Libby---afraid to drop the soap

Froley

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Froley @ Jun 22 2007, 05:04 PM) [snapback]466642[/snapback]</div>
    But isn't W going to pardon them all (so they won't have to be afraid to drop the soap)????

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jun 22 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]466588[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, John. Excellent article!