1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"A Crude Awakening"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Apr 28, 2007.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just saw the movie. it was a netflix recommendation based on my previous selections and may be a netflix exclusive movie (i say that because its made by "red letter productions, a netflix company") but it talks about the end of cheap oil and what may happen. many in the movie predict that we may have as little as ten years before the "cheap" oil runs out.

it also made an interesting comparison between what we pay for gas and what we pay for other things that are not really considered necessities like coffee for example (at starbucks it goes for FIFTY bucks a gallon) which, unlike oil, is renewable. now many would consider coffee a neccesity, it is after all the 2nd most traded commodity after oil but still an interesting comparison

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 28 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]431706[/snapback]</div>
    Coffee is an interesting comparison. Still, their example is comparing the most expensive version of that particular liquid, and it is not a necessity (no matter what I think 30 minutes after I get up). I've seen the same thing done with bottled water, but when there are much cheaper alternatives, the analogy falls apart.

I would love to see inexpensive electric, dual fuel (i.e., electric or gas) or hybrid commuter cars. Made inexpensive enough, many Americans would opt to have a "commuter car" in addition to the SUV or truck that can haul their boat to the lake for their vacation.

I think the "cheap oil" will last longer than the shorter predictions, but as far as I know, extracting "sweet light crude" from shale and tar sands is an expensive process, as is coal gasification. Over time, the market will take care of the process, of course, but often market-based solutions are brutal in their impact, as the market is amoral.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Apr 28 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]431762[/snapback]</div>
    i think it falls apart only because you are not looking at the right analogy.

the point being made in the movie is that WE DO have a choice with coffee but we still prefer starbucks (i dont) in relatively massive numbers.

we also have a choice with energy, solar, wind etc. but its more expensive. so why do we pay the extra bucks for coffee when there are literally dozens of much cheaper alternatives that in many cases has more caffeine in them??

now we can argue the range limitations and what not of alternative methods of transportation but lets face it, even old relatively inefficient electrics running on lead acid have enough range to satisfy 90% of the average commuters needs. sure the batteries have to be replaced every 3 years and its a bit more expensive (that gap is getting very hard to determine as gas prices go up)

but here is the analogy... we will pay big time premium bucks for the coffee we want, but will not shell out an extra penny to save the world?? something is big time wrong here...

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 28 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]431706[/snapback]</div>
    The problem with the coffee analogy is that the average driver probably uses between 3/4 of a gallon and 2 or 3 gallons of gas a day, whereas the average latte drinker consumes, what, half a pint to a pint of coffee a day? I know there are people who drink a gallon of coffee a day, but that's not normal, and certainly not normal for people who pay Starbucks' prices. Many people brew Folgers at home, paying a lot less.

Rather than comparing a gallon of coffee to a gallon of gas, you need to compare an average daily consumption of coffee with an average daily consumption of gas. And you need to compare the average coffee, rather than the most expensive. Of if you do use the most expensive coffee in the comparison, you need to use the average consumption of that class of coffee and not use the Folgers'-drinkers consumption with the Starbucks price.

America as a nation does spend a lot of money on luxuries, but it's important to distinguish between the wealthy who spend on luxuries, and the poor who spend most of their money on necessities. Of course, if we had a decent public transportation system, gas would be much less of a necessity.

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 28 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]431773[/snapback]</div>
    That's a good point. It is only when I decided to buy a Prius that I ever heard anyone ask about justifying the car expense by gas savings. When my brother in law bought a Viper, no one asked him about mileage, how much the car cost compared to his Corvette, what gas price he used to calculate payback savings, etc. It seems that only the Prius is subject to that kind of scrutiny among the "common people". (I actually did do a spreadsheet comparing mileage, total cost of ownership, etc., on the cars I was considering, but I realize I'm much more anal about it than most people.)

Mass transit is not a solution due to what I call the "barf problem".

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Apr 28 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]431887[/snapback]</div>
    The time's coming when, barf or no barf, most people are going to be forced into mass transit because a week's supply of gas is gonna cost as much as a month's rent.

... unless they start demanding electric cars now, but they're all brainwashed into believing that oil supply is unlimited.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    speaking of endless supplies... OPEC in an effort to keep the membership going, alloted each countries quota based on each countries estimate of their oil reserves. the idea was to allow countries with lesser reserves be able to contribute more years by only allowing them to produce what they could comfortably maintain for years.

but some countries, in order to get a larger quota, lied about their reserves. in fact, a few countries reserves "doubled" after this law started. because of this, no one really knows what most of OPEC's real reserves are. although several countries are in decline having reached their peaks and not being able to make their quotas.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bumping this thread because I'm a little slow but did just finish watching this movie. I checked it out from the library.

I would recommend that everyone should check their public library for this movie. Very well done, very informative and very scary. If ignorance is bliss this movie will knock that smile off your face.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Holy ancient thread awakener ! :p

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    really. Oughta rename this thread "Lazarus". ;)

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, you can thank the "You are about to start a thread; perhaps you should look at these" utility.

After watching the movie I thought I'd share. Sure enough, this one already existed.

12. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like the movie and found it informative, but some of the people they interviewed were a little loony. There was a dude in what looked like a jogging suit ranting about how people don't worship Jesus or Allah or whatever, they worship oil.

He reminded me of a crazy homeless guy the way he spoke.