1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A cruel truth may be sinking in about my Gen 2 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Chuck., Nov 22, 2016.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But is still a great car.

Autostop does not work on any hybrid until the ICE is warm. On my 2000 Honda Insight, autostop kicks in instantly once the ICE is 3/4 of normal operating temperature. On my 2007 Prius, it could take up to seven seconds, even after I stopped for a couple of minutes to pick something up, then start the car again. :(

Honda wanted ultimate fuel economy - Toyota wanted the cleanest tail pipe emissions possible.

Still, am I the only one that thinks the Toyota engineers were on break designing the ECU on the startup routine? If the car is at/near normal operating temperature, this excessive idling is not just overkill, but wasteful - isn't it?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, maybe you're overthinking it, but what do i know?:p (that's one reason i bought a plug in)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    7 seconds? The horror.

Data Daedalus, WilDavis and bisco like this.
  4. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, but who would you want on the road - people like that or the drivers that slam on the brakes 50 yards from a light they know will be red for awhile? I see lots of the latter.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you might be, although I'm not really sure I understand what your problem is. If I am running errands and the car is warm, It doesn't excessively idle on subsequent starts. The only time it will run while stopped is to do the idle check as it passes from stage 3a/3b to stage 4. I can live with that as once in stage 4 it is much more responsive and easier to get higher MPG over extended distances.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Engine is idling excessively when on stage 3a. For that you can use EV button (if speed is low enough) or go to stage 3b (if speed is high enough) or make full stop and let it idle for those seconds to get to stage 4.

Other times Prius can idle excessively is when it’s below freezing, heater is on and engine has not reached 60…65c or 140…150F (once engine has reached that it won’t idle until engine temperature has dropped a lot). Fix for that situation is to change blower setting into something other than windshield (that seems to lower the required engine temperature for some reason). Or to use EV button (if speed is low enough). Or turn heater to MAX COLD (which will just blow outside air in).

But easiest thing that you can do while driving to get better MPG in cold temperature is try to park it with 4 or less bars of battery. That way instead of just idling, the engine will charge hybrid battery.

Also Prius really benefits from using grill block. I use upper grill block unless it’s part of summer when I might use AC to cool. Lower grill can be blocked 80% if temperature is colder than 6c or 43F.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's "Good Truth" that has always existed.
    I believe one of the fundamental concepts behind the development of HSD was the idea that The Prius would be a vehicle well suited to be used in congested, high smog, city like environments. So tail pipe emissions have always been a priority with HSD.

I think some owners become too obsessed with...The King Of Thrones...Fuel Efficiency.

Regardless of how many seconds it may take for the engine to turn off, or how long it takes to get to operating temperature, to allow this. I always kept a "Big Picture" viewpoint. That is:

When I drove a Prius, I appreciated that I WAS driving one of the most fuel efficient vehicles possible. PERIOD.
    I also appreciated that it's emissions were low.

Could an even MORE fuel efficient vehicle be designed if less attention was paid to keeping emissions lower? Probably. But IMO that wouldn't leave you with a better end product. Just marginally better gas mileage.
    And IMO embracing this attitude just harkens back to a problem the world faces now. That is too many years only looking at the "results" that benefit us as individuals...immediately. That is fuel efficiency....but not looking at the big picture....fuel efficiency and keeping the air clean.

So in closing....instead of obsessing that you are burning fuel...while waiting for HSD parameters to be met that allow for engine shut off, be happy that those same parameters make The Prius a low emissions vehicle, and that you will be operating a vehicle with as much thought put into supporting air quality as creating fuel efficiency.

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unfortunately those low emissions only matter if you drive in those congested, high smog, areas. In a global scale just keeping the fuel consumption down will minimize the environmental effects.

9. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Now you're starting to sound like a vw ecu programmer.

wrprice likes this.
  10. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    If you want high mpg and don't care about emissions, you can buy a diesel.

The Prius USP is to provide low co2 and other emissions, AND high fuel economy. Its bottom line design purpose is low emissions over and above fuel economy.

As for the emissions only mattering in smog cities, I'd say that every little helps, even on a global scale, especially multiplied by many millions of cars.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

The Electric Me likes this.
  11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It really just depends on what you think is the main objective. If it’s global warming (climate change) then it’s almost only about co2. Diesels don’t get that low of co2 because same volume of diesel has more energy than gasoline. So burning same amount of diesel produces more co2 than burning gasoline.

Diesel cars are also bad for short journeys. And if you own diesel car here you have to be yearly tax which makes diesel only feasible if you drive a lot.

My point really just being that I don’t really like that Toyota did go for a lot better emission level than what law required them to do. If they would have stick with the same level as other cars are required they would have gotten even better MPG and less CO2.

12. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I met Paulette a few years ago - she has a number of health problems, including respiratory ones. If circumstances had been a little different 16 years ago, instead of the 2000 Honda Insight, I might have gotten a VW TDI. Paulette is glad I did not get the diesel. Gradually, I have been getting her interested in environmental issues by pointing out the cause-and-effect of some of her health issues. She's glad I got the Prius because the tailpipe is cleaner than anything not EV or natural gas powered.

The Electric Me likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree.
    That's the attitude that has Mother Nature on the ropes.
    The idea that low emissions ONLY matter if you are driving in congested, high smog areas.

It's NOT- Either/Or....not either low emissions OR low fuel consumption...it can, and IMO should be both.

And while I would not make any Don Quixote like claims to believe that any individual driving a Prius anywhere is magically healing the earth with the singular benefit of being a low emissions vehicle....it's a choice both as a HSD engineering feat...and a choice for us as drivers and consumers. And even as individuals..wherever we are....it matters..and it helps.

GT4Prius likes this.
  14. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With car engine it has to be some type of compromise. I really didn’t mean that we should remove regulations. What I meant is the difference between (honestly) meeting all regulations while going for lowest fuel consumption (CO2) and going to level Toyota did. Off course in the big city lower emission is the better option. But in the countryside?

15. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would estimate that Toyota could make the Prius about 1% more efficient if they made it about five times dirtier. Many of the things that make a Prius more efficient also lower emissions as a side effect.

Sorry, I still don't understand exactly what you mean. Do you mean that Toyota should make dirtier Prii especially for people who never drive in the city?

Prius Pete and bisco like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Damn but that makes a lot of sense. You should have run for..., never mind, too late.

17. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Improving emissions at the cost of fuel economy is a false improvement.

Thousands of times more pollution is created while extracting, transporting and refining crude than burning your gallon of gas. Getting crude releases large amounts of arsenic, lead, mercury and cadmium into the environment, how do we classify/compare these pollutants to emissions?
    How do we classify the 5% of crude lost as spoilage ? Aka spilled, or in the wrong layer of soil, or lost as voc?

Simply put your car is cleaner at the expense of massive pollution in someone else's back yard.

The only way to improve global pollution is to reduce petroleum use at all costs. Your car is incapable of releasing more pollution through burning than the upstream pollution to get your gallon of gas to you.

18. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The ideling I mentioned in the OP seems to be excessive. If the Prius is warmed up it's neither saving gas or saving emissions. I think the ECU is not smart enough to realize that. I could be wrong - those are my thoughts.

m.wynn likes this.
  19. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On certain type of driving, yes. But on other type of driving effect on fuel consumption can be a lot more while effect on emissions could be a lot less. High consumption effect mostly is caused when engine is only run to get catalytic converter up to temperature.

Where did you get that idea? Of course I’m not trying to advice Toyota on what to do. And if I was I wouldn’t post it here.

20. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 2007 German spec. Prius does not always start the engine after having been turned off for a couple minutes. Sometimes it does, but it seems to depend upon the inside, outside, engine, and cat. temperatures.

There could be something amiss, or there could be slightly different programming for the US spec. Prius in order to optimize results in the more demanding US consumption and emissions tests.