1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A failing 12V battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by reeed, Sep 17, 2010.

1. reeed

reeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi friends.

I bought a 2007 Prius recently. It had only 12,000 km on it -- the first owner probably made infrequent short trips. It's still on its original 12V battery.

Every few days I have trouble getting the car to start up into READY mode. Step on the brake and push Start, it would go into ACC mode. I noticed (through wall reflections) during such events that the brake lights did not illuminate when I stepped on the pedal. Also, that brake fluid pump sound was diminished or even absent. Anyone ever noticed this before?

Voltage as indicated by the MFD: 12.3V after parking overnight, 11.9V in IG-ON (no headlights).

---> yes i ought to get a new 12V battery.

However, this option is much cheaper, and will remain useful even after I eventually get a new battery: Gunson G4137 Battery Charger 12v

Questions:
    1. can i safely charge from the connectors under the hood?

2. Is this charger capable of desulfation?

3. Should I go for its smart big brother, the Gunson G4138 Battery Charger - Multistage Automatic ?

thanks!

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Use of -any- charger when the battery is connected to the car is asking for a blown ECU. The Prius is fully an electronic car. There is way too much expensive electronics to put in danger! Get a new battery. The reason yours is dead is the low mileage. It was probably fully discharged many times.

You can also (for about the same price as the Toyota battery) get an Optima with an adapter kit from elearnaid.

There -are- a few safe charge maintainers available, such as the "Battery Tender". They won't recharge a dead battery, and if it has sulfated (very probable) there may be enough leakage to fully absorb what the Battery Tender puts out.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Toyota's repair procedure requires disconnection and physical removal of the 12V battery before it is charged. The concern is that if the battery charger produces excessive voltage, then damage will be caused to the car's electronics and the battery might eventually explode. Hence, I cannot say that it is "safe" to use the jump start terminal at the main relay/fuse box, or for that matter charging the battery directly.

However, most owners will not bother to remove the battery before charging, so as long as you recognize that you are depending upon proper battery charger operation and keep an eye on it, then no worries. You need to limit charging current to 4A or less per the warning label on the battery.

2 and 3. I will not venture an opinion on the merits of the specific charger that you are considering. The pricing seems quite high compared to chargers that one can purchase in the US. I prefer a charger that has an ammeter so that you can see the charging rate. The model that I have allows selection of 2A/10A/50A charging rates.

Regarding your difficulty in getting the car READY, since you notice that the brake lights do not come on, this is an indication that the brake light switch needs to be either adjusted or replaced. The same switch is also relied upon when the Prius decides that the car can become READY. <This is a known trouble area, BTW.>

It is also likely that you'll need a new 12V battery because the car was very lightly used over the past three years, hence the battery probably spent most of that time in a partially-discharged state which is not helpful for its longevity. Good luck.

2 people like this.
  4. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm brand new to Prius ownership, however in my experience with various cars, trucks, airplanes and boats, it's a better and safer idea to physically remove a battery before charging. With all the expensive micro-circuitry in a Prius, I would say that goes triple.

Also, if the battery is in good condition, a fairly cheap charger will work fine (I bought mine for about $30 if memory serves, a decade or more ago). If it's not in fairly good condition, replace it, for crying out loud!

Unless you're running a garage, save the additional expense of a high end charger and and buy a good replacement battery every few years or as needed.

My two cents, YMMV, etc.

-- Kelly

5. reeed

reeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks Kelly. hey you got any nice pics of your Prius with scenic Guam backdrop?? :)

6. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have two more weeks driving the old Sienna minivan until the current owner of my Prius leaves for Florida (She's a friend, and cut me a deal contingent on keeping her car until she can kiss it goodbye at the Airport). I'll post a couple Guam scenery shots then if you like.

After 18 years of Toyota Box, Previa and Sienna minivans I am REALLY ready to be driving something that gets more than 20 MPG and doesn't make people shake their heads in sympathy!

Lessee, we need new tires, Wet Okole seat covers with lumbar support, Darwin Fish plaque, USAF window sticker . . . and I think that's all!

Let me know if you're ever making the trip over here, OK reeed?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering how many annual miles you log. I'm thinking that you can't go too far on Guam before you return to where you started (I grew up in Honolulu.)

If your driving trips are quite short you probably won't log great mpg on the Prius. In the first 5 minute period after initial start-up, mpg typically is in the mid-20s as engine timing is retarded to allow the catalytic converter to warm up. You'll note this on the mpg bar histogram displayed on the MFD.

8. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hafa adai, Patrick,

Actually, I'm about optimal (I think). I live by the ocean on the Southeast (most rural and IMHO best!) part of the island, about a 20 minute commute to my regular teaching job +/- traffic and construction. Trips to shopping or my AF Reserve duty are up to double that. I drive about 15,000 miles per year, average trip probably 15 miles. The original owner lived around the corner and has averaged 50+ MPG.

My cousin Dan is in Phoenix, where he's big into outfitting his house with solar goodies. Gotta get him into a Prius!

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Kelly,

OK, then you should be logging mpg into the 50s without trying very hard. What are the speed limits on your commute route: around 45 mph or less?

Yes, there's no lack of sun in southern AZ and to take advantage of that, I just had a 5.4 kW (DC rating) solar electric array installed at my home this week.

10. reeed

reeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick, you're right about the brake light switch. I played with the pedal today while parked and in READY mode. 3 out of 5 pedal presses (whether with my hand or foot) resulted in no brake light illumination ! It's very random, and not dependent on pedal pressure. And it now appears that it's not related to the 12V bus voltage.

The brakes work very well in this car, it's just that the lights don't come on ! I can really foresee being rear-ended some day because my car gives no indication that I'm braking... -shudder-

Will the switch be replaced under warranty ?

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US, the brake light switch would be covered under the comprehensive 3 year / 36K mile warranty. You'll have to review the warranty terms and conditions applicable to your country.

Even if not covered under warranty, this is a pretty easy repair. You could DIY if you obtain the correct replacement part. If interested, look around under the instrument panel where the brake pedal pivots, and see if you can find the switch. Good luck.

12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Maybe it just needs adjustment. See this excellent post if you need to DIY:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-i-m-being-tailgated-so-often.html#post414978
    Good luck! :)

13. reeed

reeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I'll give it a try, although ripping up panels gives me palpitations :)

But my brake light problem is intermittent, which makes me suspect the switch itself is flaky, not merely a plunger position problem.

14. reeed

reeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tried to remove the first panel, the silver air vent one next to driver's door.The top of the panel came off with a sharp pull but the bottom would not budge.

Note that this is a Right Hand Drive car -- we drive on the left side of the road :)

I referred to the chris-dragon-dash.pdf instructions, but reversed 'left' and 'right'.

Also, the POWER button is attached to this particular panel, beneath the air vent -- this panel is not without wires, unlike the North American Priuses ? I fear breaking something vital if I pull too hard.

Will bring the car to Toyota first thing in the morning.

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I don't like pulling the plastic panels either - being afraid of breaking them. When I did my silver panel I had more trouble with the top claws than the bottom ones. It does need a very firm pull and when it releases it does "fly" off. So yes be very careful especially if there are wires attached. Although there is usually enough slack - how else the factory assembles the thing at the first place? So as long as you prepare some kind of "stop" behind your pulling hands - maybe your knees or tummy - it should be OK to pull firmly. Good luck! :)

16. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  17. reeed

reeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota dealer changed the brake switch free of charge. :)

I enquired: when the time comes, the 12V battery will cost me $150 and labour $20 (Singapore dollars). ~ US$112+15. They use a Bosch battery -- anyone has experience with Bosch batteries?

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No experience, but that is a great price.

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Do note that there are only a few battery factories in each country and they apply labels for many different "makes" to the product they produce. Other than the specialty batteries such as Optima, batteries are pretty much a "commodity", mass produced and marketed under many names. Even Optima puts different labels on their product (I've seen "Interstate" ones, for example).

One of the main reasons is shipping costs. Imagine how much it would cost you to ship an Optima from the US to Singapore!

20. reeed

reeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A