1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A Fair Deal on 2013 Prius at $13995?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by europa, May 30, 2015.

1. europa

europa New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    all. Newbie here. I saw a 2013 Prius (Trim Two) at a used dealership today for $13995. It has 59,000 miles on it and it looked to be in great condition. It seemed to run well during a test drive. The vehicle was used as a rental car prior to being obtain by this dealership. Does this seem like a fair price? I appreciate any thoughts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    price seems right, my only concern would be how renters treat rental cars.

3. mg555

mg555 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree, it is the fact that it was a rental that I would shy away from. Long time ago I made the mistake of trying to save some money by purchasing a rental car. Worst mistake I ever made. The car was nothing but problems. Could have been due to the fact it was a rental car, or just the fact that it was a Plymouth Vouyager (1990s) which was a piece of a junk. But for that reason, I would personally stay away from rental or fleet cars. You never know how all the various (many) people drove the vehicle.

The price you were given doesn't sound bad. I suppose it is fair. You could probably get a 2015 base 2 for around $20,000 before tt&l and dealer fees....

4. caedward

caedward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, smart move is to steer clear. Even my grandma will do donuts in a rental car.

5. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would not buy a rental car. Just my opinion.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Check out the prices on truecar.com to see what is reasonable in your area. Many posters claim renters drive a Prius like they stole it. How many of them have rented a Prius then drove it like they stole it? When I rented one it got better treatment than my own since I do occasionally autocross.

My first concern is whether or not the car is a Two as fleet cars are usually stripped down from the lowest retail model. Does the car have the tonneau cover for the deck & cruise control?

My second concern is the high mileage and I would expect it to be sold at a discount.

Would I buy the car? No, because I wouldn't buy a Two and I wouldn't buy a car with almost 60000 miles on it.

7. PriusIndia

PriusIndia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't go for it. $13995 for a car with 60k with a history of being used as rental is asking for lot more.

Also I agree with the JimN:

8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    my fathers advise holds true in this case
    don't marry a hooker and don't buy a used rental car
    both have been driven hard and abused by ever guy that used it

matt b. and Okinawa like this.
  9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Keep looking, rental means hard life!

matt b. likes this.
  10. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    almost as bad as NY taxis I see people buying on e bay for 6 grand...I always laugh, beat to hell 5 yr old Prii with over 300,000 miles for 6 grand..WOW

11. TP2 '15

TP2 '15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats a lot lower than the prices I was seeing for used cars where I'm from. It was about 15,500 for a rental 2013 Prius 2 with 55K miles, and that was as good of a deal as I found. Dealerships were asking about 17-18 for similar cars. I ended up getting a new one for 20K as it was only a few thousand more than the used ones. I would have gotten used if I could have found one for around 14 K.

12. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You got a good deal. Better to buy new to my opinion. You can drive trouble free for a long time.

13. TP2 '15

TP2 '15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah. I did alternate financing, so got 2K manufacture rebate instead of 0%. I got a 6y/2.25% loan, so payments are low, and will pay it off in 2-3 years when I finish paying off student loans.

#13 TP2 '15, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're one of those people who buy cars every 4-5 years then I'd say that this is a good price for a G3 with 60,000 miles on the clock....EXCEPT FOR the fact that it's been a rental car.
    NEVER buy a rental car......EVER.

Trivia question: What's the factory warranty for a Toyota?
    Hint: Look at the odometer on the previously (a)bused car.
    There's usually a reason that these two are so close. ;)

Like I said.....if you're just one of the vast majority of people who go from car to car then this Prius is probably a good car to buy, because odds are that if you immediately change fluids and filters, you're probably looking at a car that will still last for most of 250,000 miles, albeit with an increased probability of having some underlying problems requiring additional repairs.

You're just paying $14,000 for a car that was probably auctioned off to the dealer for 10-ish....because.......(wait for it!)........NOBODY want's to buy a car that was abused and barely maintained by a thousand people before you got stuck with it.

Good Luck!

Oh yes....one more thing.
    Don't be fooled by fake warranties,
    OEM extended warranties are not a good bargain except in very rare cases, and there's NO WAY that you can get an OEM extended warranty on a car that was used commercially in a rental fleet.
    That's why it was auctioned off to the dealer that's trying to sell it to you.
    They're playing off of Priuses higher than average resale value and hoping that you'll buy into the myth that there's no difference between a used car and a former rental.
    Sometimes the more unscrupulous used car shops will "offer" you an extended warranty in the hopes that you'll mistakenly think that it's the same as the factory extended warranty.
    It's the automotive equivalent to the Snuggie.
    Don't do it.
    Even if it's free......it's a rip-off.

#14 ETC(SS), Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015