1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few alternatives to dash squakers/midtweets

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Thai, May 11, 2010.

1. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmm, just browsing the net, i found these 3.5" coaxials that may fit into the dash hole: Polk Audio - db Series - Mobile / Marie Speakers

They are pretty cheap too...but, i am not sure how good they sound though. But, at least, there is an alternative out there.

JL Audio also makes a 3.5" coaxial: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_components.php?comp_id=58 It is $69.95. A little higher end: http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/C2-350x/part_number=99611/1451.0.1.1.25605.48022.0.0.0?, costing $89.95.

And with JL, you can go to 4" if it will fit in the dash. From pictures, the JBL dash speakers are almost 5" wide i think. Depth, i don't know.

Personally, i think that the above options is a better idea than traditional setup of a 6.5 woofer (in door) and 1" tweeter (in stock dash location). All you have to do now is find a good pair of 6x9s woofers only to handle the bass...or keep the stock 6x9s...and add a subwoofer independently if bass is lacking for you.

However, be careful with Ohm. The JBL speaker (or base system) is likely low resistance (2 Ohm??). The above speakers are 4-Ohm i think...so, i am not sure if these alternatives will sound better than stock.

Just something to think about for those who are modifying their system. BTW, i am sure that there are more brands out there making the above size, but i trust Polk and JL Audio.

2. whitedogone

whitedogone New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    II
  3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's another pic [​IMG] I think I even took one with a measure in the background for perspective.

And here it is along with pics http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...onics/68491-front-dash-tweeter-removal-4.html. From memory, and looking at the specs, the 3.5 will require some cutting in the hole. As it was looking so tight, I didn't go that route... From a depth point, there should be no problem - that's where I put the large crossovers for my Infinitiys....

If you try to run 3.5 - or even 4 (I really don't think you can get a 4 in there - and like I said - even going 3.5 will be a challenge), please post pics of the process!

Edit: Also take a good look at the plastic speaker cover - it will need to be modified!

4. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What is remarkable is the difference b/w the JBL midtweet and the base midtweet!! The base midtweets look like they are cheap paper cones, as compared to the midtweet of the JBL system. This further enhances the difference b/w the base and JBL system and explains the vastly better sound.

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As is documented in many places, the JBL and base have different speakers - with different impedance. Of course JBL will be better than stock.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dude,
    What was the impedance of the dash squawkers? You have the model II right?

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Rolf when you pulled out the cap to the squawker did you find out what the value was. I'd like to know what frequency the crossovers are at.

Model II (Non-JBL) are 4 ohm components. JBL has 2 ohm for each component with active crossover in the amp.

1 person likes this.
  8. whitedogone

whitedogone New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    II
    The more I look at 3.5" replacements; the more I think they would be a real 3itch to get in there.

9. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are correct - look at the pics. I could fit - would need a bit of cutting at the dash - but then, the hole for sound is 2.4" around.... Do you ideally would drill out that grill (which won't look good).

I threw our the caps when I tore apart the speaker to use its connector (makes a clean install). Have no idea what its value was...

10. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    But, you can ask any aftermarket installer to make a custom one...maybe a plastic frame with cloth (any color you want) covering it...now, THAT would look really nice IMO. Just give them the stock piece and they can easily copy it.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you could do that, but I doubt that those 3.5" don't really sound that great. I saw that a lexus dealer was selling replacement ML squawkers for $90/pr for the sc. I bet those would fit fine, but they may be mismatched to your 6x9s.

12. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    SC? SC430? I don't think that the SC430 used midtweets. They had 0.75" tweeters, 4" midrange, and 6x9s (in lower doors). The rear seat area has coaxial (4" and 0.75). There is an 8" sub i think.

The only time that ML use midtweets is with the center channels on certain ML systems. (SC430 does not have a center channel...i think.) I guess that you can use the center channels from those systems, but the CC may be designed/tuned to specific frequencies...which means that they may not perform to what we want (midrange to high frequencies).

And this is why i think that one should stick to the JBL system rather than upgrading...because tuning of the system to the interior of the Prius is what really makes the difference. I understand that the base system is lacking and i think that upgrading the base system may be worthwhile.

13. whitedogone

whitedogone New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    II
    One word says it all as to why upgrade the II instead of going with the JBL..........................

NAV

14. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Then get JBL with NAVI. There is no way that you can upgrade aftermarket for cheaper or even the same price. And the more that i read about it, the harder it seems to even get aftermarket speakers for the Prius...so, way too much headache!

15. whitedogone

whitedogone New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    II
    $1700 pos nav or around $1200 for a MUCH better nav head and speaks... it's really a no brainer. Just need to figure out with speaks will work the best in the stock locals and with the 20w header.

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Had to pick up my cousin for a family dinner. 30 miles each way through rush hour traffic. I tell my 8 year-old he's coming along, 'cause daddy needs a body for the commuter lane.

20 minutes later, the kid's telling me he's carsick, why did I bring him, blah blah blah blah.... Dad taps on screen, hits the DVD button, and Speed Racer starts up. Problem solved.

OEM my butt.

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Remind me, how many CDs can your NAVI headunit hold? Have you figured in the cost of the CD changer that you have to buy? So, i think that you cannot use the NAVI while listening to CDs unless you get a separete CD changer, right? :( How much do those CD changers cost? $400-800?? Oh yeah, real bargain there!

How about backup camera? How much do those costs aftermarket? Installation costs? Scratches on dash and broken clips...how much headache is it worth?

Or how about the cost of the speakers AND amplifier(s) needing to power those puppies?? How about a subwoofer and the associated amp?

So, you both are telling me that you can get ALL OF THOSE LISTED ABOVE for $1200?? Wow, what flea market are you guys shopping at?! :D Hell, even at the flea market, you won't even come close to that budget!

18. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In the past, i can see someone upgrading their car stereo system because it was relatively easy to do. You have the tweeter in the A-pillar, woofer at the bottom of the door, etc.. Now, with the Prius, even if you have plenty of money to burn, i am not even sure if you can improve the system above average with aftermarket parts! Just look at the speakers that are available...all of them are cheap, which makes me think of two things:
    1. cheaply made
    2. horrible sound

Now, i guess that you can install the tweeter like a few folks by putting it on the A-pillar, but then it looks weird (totally wrong directionally) and it looks "add-on". With my old Corolla, the A-pillar was roomy to add a tweeter (pointing in the right direction).

More and more, aftermarket sound mods for the Prius is looking to be a major PIA! :(

19. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Backup cam cost sixty bucks

20. whitedogone

whitedogone New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    II
    What is this thing called a CD :ballchain:?